D. George Dixon
Vice-President, University Research
Recipient of the Distinguished Teacher Award
Bachelor of Science (BSc) Sir George Williams, Master of Science (MSc) Concordia, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Guelph
Telephone: (519) 888-4567 ext. 32531
Office: Needles Hall 1013
Effects of toxic chemicals, including metals and oilsands process water, on aquatic organisms, principally fish. Biotic modifying factors of toxicity. Development of methods for environmental effects monitoring. Physiologically based pharmacokinetic modelling of contaminant levels in fish.
- Babu, T. S., J. B. Marder, S. Tripuranthakam, D. G. Dixon and B. M. Greenberg. 2001. Synergistic effects of a photooxidized polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon and copper on photosynthesis and plant growth: evidence that in vivo formation of reactive oxygen species is a mechanism of copper toxicity. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 20: 1351–1358.
- Karrow, N. A., N. C. Bols, J. J. Whyte, K. R. Solomon, D. G. Dixon and H. J. Boermans. 2001. Effects of creosote exposure on rainbow trout proneophros phagocyte activity and the percentage of lymphoid B cells. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health, Part A, 63: 363–381.
- Brodeur, J.C., D.G. Dixon and R.S. McKinley. 2001. Inhibition of oxygen consumption by pentachlorophenol and tetrachloroquaiacol in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Aquat. Toxicol. 54: 143–148.
- Sibley, P.K., D.G. Dixon and D.R. Barton. 2001. Impact of bleached kraft pulp mill effluent on the nearshore benthic community of Jackfish Bay, Lake Superior. Water Qual. Res. J. Canada 36: 815–833.
- El-Alawi, Y.S., D.G. Dixon and B.M. Greenberg. 2001. Effects of a pre-incubation period on the photoinduced toxicity of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons to the luminescent bacteria, Vibrio fischeri. Environ. Toxicol. 16: 277–286.
- McConkey, B.J., D.G. Dixon and B.M. Greenberg. Sunlight induced photooxication of naphthalene in aqueous solution. Water Air Soil Pollut.: in press.
- Gillis, P.L., L.C. Diener, T.B. Reynoldson and D.G. Dixon. Cadmium induced production of a metallothionein-like protein in Tubifex tubifex (Oligochaeta) and Chironomus riparius (Diptera): correlation with reproduction and growth. Environ. Toxicol. Chem.: in press.
- Campbell, L.M., R.E. Hecky, J. Nyaundi, R. Muggide and D.G. Dixon. Distribution and food web transfer of mercury in Napoleon and Winam Gulfs, Lake Victoria, East Africa. J. Great Lakes Res.: in press.