Basic Organic Chemistry 2
- University of Watelroo credit: 0.5
- European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) credit: 6.0
- Prerequisite: CHEM 266 or equivalent
- Anti-requisite: CHEM 265
- Not for students in honours Chemistry or Biochemistry or Biology and Chemistry programs.
- Textbook: Organic Chemistry (1st edition) by David Klein (Wiley, 2011).
CHEM 267 is a continuation of the study of organic chemistry covered in CHEM 266. Included is an introduction to conjugated pi systems and Diels-Alder reactions. The reactivity of aldehydes, ketones, enols, enolates and amines, as well as their relation to biologically important compounds are discussed. Also included are aromatic compounds and mechanisms of electrophilic and nucleophilic aromatic substitutions. An introduction to the use of infrared and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) spectroscopy in the determination of the structure of organic compounds is presented as well.
Please remember that the Undergraduate Calendar is always the official source for all course descriptions.