Ranking & Matching
- Matching system
- First interview cycle: Procedures for matched students
- Continuous interview cycles: Procedures for matched students
- No job at start of work term?
First interview cycle job ranking consultation
Should you wish to discuss a job or an employer anytime before, during, or after the interview period, be sure to consult with the appropriate student advisor using phone or e-mail.
To identify the student advisor for a position, look in JobMine under "Rankings." Be sure to include your student id number as well as a telephone number where you can be reached in any phone or e-mail correspondence with student advisors.
How to rank employers
You can rank an interviewed job in JobMine under rankings on the ranking open date. Don’t attempt to rank prior to this date.
Your ranking page will have one of the following listed beside each employer’s job ID in the Rankings page of JobMine:
- Offer (you can have this job, if you rank it as a “1”)
- Ranked (employer has ranked you, but not with “offer”)
- Not ranked (the employer has not ranked you; you may not assign a rank to this job)
You must rank all jobs shown on your rankings page, except those where the employer didn’t rank you. If you don't rank a job, JobMine will apply a default rank of “9.”
- If you have been ranked, but don’t have offers:
- for the highest probability of being employed, rank all jobs “1”
- If you have one or more job offers:
- to secure employment with your preferred job, rank that offer “1”
- If you have job offers and ranks:
- to secure employment, rank one of your offers “1”
- for a higher probability of being employed with your preferred job if it’s not an offer, rank it “1”, and then rank all other jobs to indicate your preferences (this may be at the expense of not gaining employment)
- Employer and student ranking numbers are summed for each job. Any jobs you leave blank are automatically assigned a value of “9.”
- A random number is assigned to each job ranking combination.
- The algorithm looks for the lowest sum (“1” + “1” = 2), with the lowest random number. If both you and the job are still available, you’re then assigned to that job and the number of available openings for that job is reduced by one.
- The matching algorithm then continues to look for the next lowest sum with the lowest random number, and so on, until all potential matches take place.
Missing employer rankings
- If you had an interview for a job and it doesn’t appear in your rankings section in JobMine after the ranking open date, then the employer hasn’t submitted their rankings.
- Check JobMine again before the ranking close date and time to see if the rankings were submitted later.
- If the employer does not submit rankings in time for the match, the employer could activate those rankings in the next or a later interview cycle.
- To find out if an employer has submitted their rankings, check your applications section on JobMine and look at the job status for the employer.
- If the job status states ranking completed, the employer has submitted their rankings and they’ll be active during the next ranking cycle.
If the employer you ranked 1 cancels the job
Occasionally, employers cancel positions after you’ve submitted your rankings.
One of the jobs cancelled might be your first choice. If this happens to you, and you have no other first choice rankings, Co-operative Education will contact you by email. If you can’t be reached in time, the match will proceed as is.
Statistics from past terms show that 90 per cent of students and employers matched receive their first or second choices.
If your job is cancelled after you’re matched with an employer, contact Co-operative Education immediately. We’ll make every effort to find another job for you.
Obligation to accept job if matched
You’re obligated to accept the job you’re matched with through JobMine. Refusal to accept the job results in your status changing to failed work term, which will appear on your Co-op Student Record.
How to check if you’ve been matched
Option 1: View Match Details in JobMine
- JobMine will be updated as of 11:00 a.m. (4:00 p.m. for the first interview cycle match) on the match results dates shown on the important dates calendar.
- If you’re matched with a job, you’ll receive an email from Co-operative Education about job-specific employment information.
- Contact your employer immediately to confirm your employment arrangements. Review the guidelines of what to do after a job match.
Option 2: View Term Card on JobMine
- Check JobMine under term card.
- You have been matched if click for employment details appears.
- The next time you look at your term card, this line will be replaced by the name of your employer. If your status shows as UI – Unemployed – Interview Process, you weren’t matched with a job.
Matched? Confirm job with employer immediately
If you’re matched with a job in the first interview cycle, look up the employer information in your term card on JobMine and contact your employer for confirmation.
Employment information meetings with your student advisor
If you receive a first interview cycle job match and you’d like to talk with your student advisor about your future employer or work location, please contact them directly.
Once you're hired, your new student advisor will be added to your JobMine profile as your "CECA contact." You will hear back from your advisor by the end of the business day after you contact them.
If you’re an architecture student, you’ll be able to view employment information meeting schedules on your match-results day on the Cambridge campus bulletin boards only.
Direct job offer from employer
After an interview arranged through Co-operative Education, an employer might offer you the job directly. If this happens, please inform your student advisor immediately (or a career advisor if you’ve not yet had a work term).
All job offers and matches must be made through Co-operative Education and processed via JobMine. This is done so employers compete for students equally and to ensure fairness for both employers and other students.
Scheduled interviews following a job match
Once a job match is shown on JobMine, don’t attend any additional employer interviews that have been scheduled for you, including those on the same day as your job match.
Where possible, alternate candidates will be contacted to take your place. In any event, Co-operative Education staff will inform interviewers that you’re no longer available.
Not matched? Continue with job search
If you’re without a job after the first interview cycle ends, continue applying to jobs and attending employer interviews.
After a match:
- You still need to rank the jobs for which you’re interviewed.
- Job matches for some jobs may not be available until a later interview cycle, depending on when the employer submits their rankings.
- Check important dates calendar for ranking and match dates.
- Review job postings in continuous interview cycles.
Matched? Confirm job with employer immediately
If you’re matched with a job in a continuous interview cycle, look up the employment information in your term card on JobMine, to contact your employer for confirmation.
Timing of rankings and job matches (unless otherwise noted)
- Employer rankings open in JobMine on Tuesdays and Thursdays after 8:00 p.m.
- Student rankings close in JobMine on Wednesdays and Fridays at 10:00 a.m.
- Job matches take place on Wednesdays and Fridays after 11:00 a.m.
- Follow the same ranking procedures as in the first interview cycle.
Direct job offer from employer
Following an interview arranged through Co-operative Education, an employer may offer you a job directly. Even though you may want to accept this position, the offer must be made through Co-operative education.
Should you be offered a job directly, ask the employer to contact Co-operative Education immediately.
Interviews after a job match
Once matched with a job, don’t attend any additional interviews. Co-operative Education will inform interviewers that you’re no longer available. Where possible, arrangements will be made for alternate candidates to take your place.
If you’re without a co-op job by the time the work term begins, you will be contacted by Co-operative Education regarding your employment status. Please ensure your contact information is up-to-date in WatIAM and Quest.
Note: This section does not apply to Pharmacy students
- Continue to watch JobMine for any postings, notices, or advice. Job postings will continue until the second month of your scheduled work term. You’ll be contacted by Co-operative Education if any job openings develop through Co-operative Education.
- You may be called directly by the employer. Interviews at this stage will likely take place off-campus.
- Contact your student advisor, (or a career advisor, if you’re planning for your first work term).
Start looking for a job on your own. Consider the following:
- read the work search module of the Career Development eManual
- register with your local Human Resources Development Canada office for general employment opportunities
- network with family and friends
- read local newspapers for job openings, expansion announcements, and other business news
- use the Yellow Pages, to search for companies that interest you
- explore the Centre for Career Action website. It includes links to job listings and other employment-related websites. Look for part-time job opportunities on the Centre for Career Action website. This may lead to approval for a work term credit.
- discuss any leads or suggestions you have with your student advisor (or a career advisor if you’ve not yet had a work term).