- The Associate Vice President, Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs represents the interests and policies of Graduate Studies;
- Chairs the Graduate Operations Committee;
- Co-chairs the Senate Graduate and Research Council and Graduate Student Relations Committee;
- Represents Graduate Studies on most University committees and is the University of Waterloo external representative for graduate affairs - Ontario Council on Graduate Studies (OCGS), Canadian Association for Graduate Studies (CAGS).
- The Associate Vice-President, Academic represents the interests and policies of all undergraduate programs at the University of Waterloo, chairs the Senate Undergraduate Council, the Undergraduate Operations Committee and the University Committee on Student Appeals. The Associate Vice-President, Academic liaises with Deans' offices, faculty, staff and administrative departments across campus, as well as from outside agencies for all matters regarding undergraduate studies at the University of Waterloo.
- Other areas of responsibility include the Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE) and the Centre for Extended Learning (CEL).
- Administrative support to the Associate Vice-President, Academic
- Co-ordination of external reviewer site visits for cyclical program reviews and new program proposals
- Administration for the Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE); Centre of Extended Learning (CEL); and Undergraduate Operations Committee secretary
As Director, Quality Assurance (Academic Programs), Amanda McKenzie oversees both quality assurance and academic integrity at Waterloo.
Academic integrity is intricately tied to ensuring quality assurance and is part of both the University Undergraduate Degree Level Expectations (UUDLES) and Graduate Degree Level Expectations (GDLES) set out by the Ontario Universities Council on Quality Assurance (the Quality Council).
- Support the Quality Assurance Office
- Assist with the internal processes and communications related to development (planning, execution and reporting) of new undergraduate and graduate academic programs (degree and non-degree) and the scheduled cyclical review of existing undergraduate and graduate academic (degree and non-degree) programs
- Responsible for tracking and monitoring of new program proposals, reviews of existing programs, major modifications, and changes to Waterloo's Institutional Quality Assurance Process (IQAP)
- Secondary contact for academic departments whose programs are undergoing review, and new academic programs and major program modifications