- The Associate Vice President, Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs represents the interests and policies of Graduate Studies;
- Chairs the Graduate Operations Committee;
- Co-chairs the Senate Graduate and Research Council and Graduate Student Relations Committee;
- Represents Graduate Studies on most University committees and is the University of Waterloo external representative for graduate affairs - Ontario Council on Graduate Studies (OCGS), Canadian Association for Graduate Studies (CAGS).
- The Associate Vice-President, Academic represents the interests and policies of all undergraduate programs at the University of Waterloo, chairs the Senate Undergraduate Council, the Undergraduate Operations Committee and the University Committee on Student Appeals. The Associate Vice-President, Academic liaises with Deans' offices, faculty, staff and administrative departments across campus, as well as from outside agencies for all matters regarding undergraduate studies at the University of Waterloo.
- Other areas of responsibility include the Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE) and the Centre for Extended Learning (CEL).
- Administrative support to the Associate Vice-President, Academic
- Co-ordination of Undergraduate Program Reviews and new program proposals
- Administration for the Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE); Centre of Extended Learning (CEL); and Undergraduate Operations Committee secretary
- Manage the Quality Assurance Office and the Office of Academic Integrity
- Supervise Project Coordinator position, oversee all internal processes and communications related to development (planning, execution and reporting) of new undergraduate and graduate academic programs (degree and non-degree) and the scheduled cyclical review of existing undergraduate and graduate academic (degree and non-degree) programs
- Ensure that proposals for new programs, reviews of existing programs, major modifications, and changes to existing programs meet the requirements of Waterloo's Institutional Quality Assurance Process (IQAP)
- Collaborate with Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs (GSPA) for graduate reviews
- Key contact for academic departments whose programs are undergoing review, and new academic programs and major program modifications