If you have a disability that prevents you from reading standard print or standard electronic text, we will assist you by arranging for you to receive your materials in the appropriate alternate format.
The publishers require that you purchase your textbooks before we can place requests. Please provide a copy of your sales receipt, which must be from a bookstore or online source such as Amazon.
It can take 2 to 4 weeks to receive a textbook in alternate format, so request your materials early.
If a textbook is unavailable from institutional suppliers, arrangements can be made through AccessAbility Services to have it transcribed.
Please Note: Before files can be released you must complete the Alternate Format Use Student Agreement form.
If the book you require is a library book and it's only available in print you can search for a digitized copy through the Ontario Council of University Libraries' Accessible Content E-Portal (ACE). Books in this repository are subject to Canadian copyright law and are made available for use to persons with disabilities listed under section 32 of the Canadian Copyright Act.
You can also request to have a book owned by the University of Waterloo scanned and added to the repository.
To use the ACE repository you require a unique password/TOKEN which can be issued to you through Library Accessibility Services.
How to request textbooks
- On the uWaterloo Bookstore website, go to BookLook
- Click on "My BookLook" in the left navigation
- Log in with your Quest user ID and password
- Select the term and "search"
- Locate and purchase your textbooks
- Copy and e-mail the BookLook information and sales receipt to the Alternate Format Service at email@example.com
- Provide proof of purchase by attaching a scan of your receipt to the request e-mail.
- Without a copy of the receipt, your request cannot be processed.
- You may also use the information to fill in the Alternate Format Form
- Follow copyright restrictions placed on the use of your alternate format materials. You agree not to share the alternate format material with anyone else. Due to copyright laws, the materials transcribed are for your use only.
- Return materials promptly at the end of each semester where indicated.
- Any fines charged by suppliers for lost, damaged or overdue materials will be passed on to the user.
- We endeavour to provide students with their alternate format textbooks in a timely fashion.
- However, due to factors beyond our control (e.g., late requests, availability of texts, unexpected workload, or the schedule of publishers and external transcription suppliers), we cannot guarantee that students will receive alternate format materials within the timelines required for their courses.
- If this situation occurs, please contact Susan Shifflett for alternate support.
To request courseware
Contact Susan Shifflett regarding alternate format for courseware.