Age Friendly Communities was developed by the Murray Alzheimer Research and Education Program (now based at Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging) and community partners.
What are guiding principles?
Guiding principles are similar to one’s moral compass. Our guiding principles will help steer your decisions, planning, and practices as you work to become more age-friendly. Our five guiding principles serve as the foundation for building an age-friendly community.
Our five guiding principles for building an age-friendly community are:
- Respect and support for all citizens
- Access and inclusion for all citizens
- Community engagement in decision making
These guiding principles may be included in your organization's mission statement or philosophies. Others might be a new way to direct your community towards becoming more age-friendly. Watch the video below for an introduction about the guiding principles.
Why use our guiding principles?
Creating an age-friendly community is more complex than just checking items of a list. The guiding principles will help direct you and ensure you consider the care of all citizens in the community. The guiding principles also help ensure your age-friendly community will be sustainable over time.
Guiding principles in the dementia context
Together reflect and discuss how the five guiding principles are incorporated in day-to-day care, programs, and services for people living with dementia and their family. Keep these conversations going as you build your age-friendly community. Take notes on your discussions and reflect on the guiding principles often.
Congratulations on taking this first step to becoming an age-friendly community!
Tips for navigating our website
- Click on each of the guiding principles below to read about each guiding principle in more detail:
- At the bottom of every page, you will see how each guiding principle applies to dementia as well as reflective questions to get you thinking about how to make your age-friendly community a dementia-friendly community.
- After you have navigated through all five guiding principles, you will be reminded to click Building blocks to go to that next section.