You are here

Funding and awards

A variety of scholarships, assistantships, and other forms of financial aid are available for graduate students in the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences. Most of these awards are for full-time graduate students only.

Teaching and research assistantships

Teaching Assistantships (TAs) and Research Assistantships (RAs) are available through each department/school. Refer to School of Public Health and Health Systems, Kinesiology, and Recreation and Leisure Studies websites for further information.

Preceptor positions are available in the Master of Public Health program to assist instructors in the on-line course environment.

Scholarships and awards

University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarships are awarded at the departmental level for excellent progress and high academic achievement.

All full-time graduate students are strongly urged to apply for external scholarships. These include NSERC scholarships (for master's and doctoral students in science and technology fields), SSHRC scholarships (for doctoral students only in Social Sciences and Humanities), CIHR scholarships (for doctoral students in any discipline who are involved in health-related research), and Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS) (for any students enrolled in a graduate program at an Ontario university). Students should apply for these scholarships in the early Fall (September and October deadlines) for the following academic year.

President's Graduate Scholarship (PGS) is available for all Tri-Council Scholarships and OGS recipients.

Ontario Graduate Scholarships in Science and Technology (OGSST) are available for students in the School of Public Health and Health Systems and the Department of Kinesiology. These are awarded by the Graduate Committees of each department/school to high quality students in eligible areas of research.

The Governor General's Academic Gold Medal and the University of Waterloo Alumni Gold Medal are awarded to outstanding students, following completion of all their degree requirements, in recognition of academic excellence. Students are nominated for these awards by their Departmental Graduate Committees.

Bursaries and financial aid

Bursaries are available for students in financial need through the UW Graduate Studies Officer. These are restricted to full-time students who are Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents.

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) provides various types of assistance based on financial need to eligible students.

The Faculty of Applied Health Sciences also has an Emergency Loan Fund for graduate students experiencing short-term financial difficulties.

The Provost's/Applied Health Sciences Graduate Incentive Fund Scholarship is a special fund designed to increase the pool of female candidates for faculty positions in Canada.

Maternity and Adoption Bursaries, as well as Day Care Bursaries are available through Graduate Studies.

Travel funding

Research Conference Travel Assistantships are available to defray travel costs for graduate students presenting their research at academic or professional conferences.

Other university and external funding

Other University of Waterloo and external scholarships are also available for graduate students in the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences. For more information see the University of Waterloo Graduate Studies website.