The Teaching Fellow position was established by the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences (AHS) as part of a larger university-wide effort to raise the profile of teaching and learning, and to support and encourage teaching excellence. Each academic unit within the Faculty has appointed a Teaching Fellow who works collaboratively on the AHS Teaching Fellows Team.
The current goals of the Teaching Fellows are:
- to raise the profile of teaching and learning in the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences,
- to develop a deeper understanding of the teaching needs and experiences of faculty members,
- to mobilize and disseminate teaching development resources,
- to develop a framework for supporting the work of sessional instructors and new faculty,
- to explore innovative and effective ways to evaluate teaching within AHS,
- to support faculty- and department-level efforts to facilitate teaching assistant (TA) success, and
- to encourage and celebrate teaching excellence.
The AHS Teaching Fellows will act as knowledge brokers by working closely with the Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE) and Centre for Extended Learning (CEL) to share expertise and resources with AHS instructors. Additionally, they will develop and foster a community of practice where faculty can share knowledge and experiences to enhance teaching success.
Teaching Fellow Monthly Meet-up: Engagement in Large Classes
Engaging students in large classes can be very challenging. Share your challenges and strategies and learn some new tips from CTE Liaison, Christine Zaza.
Details: Wednesday September 20th at 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. in BMH 1016. Lunch will be served. Please respond to online invitation (forthcoming).
Teaching Fellow Monthly Meet-up: Accessibility in Teaching and Learning
Explore some simple ways to make your classroom more accessible for all learners. A representative from AccessAbility will join us to address any questions related to their work with students.
Details: Tuesday October 24th at 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. in AHS 1686. Lunch will be served. Please respond to online invitation (forthcoming).
Teaching Fellow Monthly Meet-up: Kahoot
Kahoot is a free game-based learning platform to promote student engagement. Learn how to use Kahoot in your classroom, including quizzing, games, and other social learning strategies.
Details: Wednesday November 22nd at 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. in AHS 1686. Lunch will be served. Please respond to online invitation (forthcoming).
Teaching Fellow Monthly Meet-up: Term Wrap-up
An opportunity to discuss our teaching terms over a delicious lunch and set the Monthly Meet-up topics for Winter term.
Details: Tuesday, December 12th at 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. in AHS 1686. Lunch will be served. Please respond to online invitation (forthcoming).