The following requirements are only for applicants that have been selected to complete the interview process by mail-in.
- Submit a printed and bound portfolio that contains a variety of examples of your creative work. A general discussion of portfolio expectations can be found here. For the mail-in portfolio high quality reproductions (scans or photos) of your work are preferred. The portfolio should reflect your personal creative or design ideas and fully represent the breadth and depth of your work. While there is no page limit or piece limit for your portfolio, depending on the nature of the work, including between 10 and 20 pieces would be appropriate. This work, along with the requirements listed below must be submitted in a bound portfolio. You will need to carefully consider how you present your work given that you will not be able to explain it to us in person. Include a brief description with each work, including title, date, media, etc. The design and format of the portfolio should be kept simple so that it can properly illustrate the works within, without obscuring or overpowering them. The work in your portfolio must be your own. Collaborative work must be properly credited. Submission of work that is not your own will result in the dismissal of your application.
- Provide a 500-word written statement that discusses the intentions and motivations of the work in your portfolio. Include this statement at the beginning of your bound portfolio.
- Select a building or public space from your community which you find to be of interest for either its architectural, social or cultural value. Using any combination of drawings, photography and/or text, attempt to convey your understanding of, and appreciation for, its qualities and attributes. Include this document at the end of your bound portfolio.
- Submit a digital video file of yourself discussing your work. There is a strict seven minute maximum time limit for this video. You must appear and speak on camera. Briefly introduce yourself. Please show and discuss three examples from your portfolio. Files should be standard formats (.mpg .avi or .mov), submitted on a flash drive. Please test your file to ensure that it is readable prior to submission.
Please be sure that your name is on each item submitted. If you wish, your portfolio can be returned to you once the Admissions Committee has reviewed it. For returning portfolios within Canada, please include a bank draft of $25.00 for return, for outside of Canada only pre-paid Courier labels will be accepted. Payment must be included in your initial submission.
- In addition, you must also arrange a proctor (at your own expense, if necessary) to supervise the writing of your English précis test. Please provide Colleen Richter with the name, mailing address, email address, and fax number of your proctor before April 1, 2018 so that we may forward the test. Your proctor must submit the completed précis directly to Colleen no later than April 13, 2018. A suitable proctor would be a teacher, guidance counselor, or an official at an educational institution.