The application process at Waterloo is managed electronically. Applicants are required to complete the online application form. Application for September 2019 opens October 11, 2018.
A non-refundable application fee of $100 Canadian applies.
The online application is processed through the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC) and
requires 1 - 2 business days for OUAC to provide Waterloo with your application information.
After your online application has been received by Waterloo, an account will be created for you in Quest, the student information system.
You will then be sent an email with instructions on how to upload your documents.
For complete details on the University of Waterloo application requirements please visit Discover
- A four-year, honours pre-professional undergraduate Architecture degree or professional Bachelor of Architecture degree with a minimum overall average of 75% (B)
International applicants should refer to the International admission equivalencies to verify International equivalency requirements.
Additional admission requirements:
- Applicants being considered for admission to the Master of Architecture may be required to verify English Proficiency which may include a written exercise or interview as instructed by the School of Architecture. Details will be communicated when required after initial assessment of applications is complete. This is an additional departmental requirement and not a substitute for the English Language Proficiency examination.
- Online application form
- Two academic letters of reference – Referees will be emailed to complete and submit the official University of Waterloo Graduate Studies Reference form.
- Supplemental Information Form which includes statement of your proposed research interest (form available on Applicant Quest)
- Portfolio (uploaded electronically to Applicant Quest account)
review detailed portfolio requirements
- Academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended (past or current) showing all courses and marks, along with the transcript legends/keys/grading scales uploaded using Quest. Degree certificates (if obtained) must be uploaded with the transcripts.
- English Language Proficiency certification
Applicants are required to submit an English language proficiency (ELP) examination score unless any one of the following conditions is met:
Refer to the Discover Graduate Studies webpage for acceptable examinations and minimum requirements.
*Students holding a Bachelor of Architectural Studies degree from Waterloo are not required to submit a portfolio. Additionally, Waterloo transcripts are not required but you must declare your University of Waterloo studies on the OUAC application.
Application deadline (CLOSED)
The Master of Architecture program starts each year in the Fall term.
Online application deadline: January 15, 2019
Document submission deadline: February 1, 2019*