uPrint setup for personal machines
The Architecture campus provides printers that can be accessed wirelessly. You must have a WatIAM username and password. All printers can print both colour and black & white; the difference between the printers is the paper within. The Draft printer has regular paper and the Photo printer has a higher quality semi-gloss.
We currently have 6 student access printers available throughout the school. The Draft printers are located in the Library, in the 2nd floor hallway outside the computer lab, inside the 3rd floor studio, and in the grad lounge. The Photo printer is located in the 2nd floor hallway outside the computer lab.
To access these printers you must install 4 virtual print queues (one for Draft black & white ; Draft colour ; Photo black & white ; Photo colour) on your personal machine. Once installed these e-queues will allow you to print to any of the 6 student use printers. The drivers can be downloaded from xerox.ca > support & drivers > WorkCentre Xerox AltaLink C8030 / C8035 / C8045 / C8055 / C8070 Color Multifunction Printer with built-in controller.
- Select System Preferences > Printers & Scanners
- Select the + on the bottom left of Printers and Scanners, and select Add Printer or Scanner
- Right click on any of the icons on the top left of the window and a window will appear. Select the last option, Customize Toolbar
- Drag the Advanced icon onto the icons toolbar
- Click on Advanced > in the Type: field select Windows printer via spoolss
- Now in the URL: text box type in for Draft bw smb://uprintps.nexus.uwaterloo.ca/arc-draft-bw-vx
- As before name the printer (Draft bw), and then select the Software driver (Xerox AltaLink C8045 for Draft and Xerox AltaLink C8045 for Photo), and click Add
- While the printer is setting up, click Configure and change the paper trays from 3 trays to 5 trays (if you skip this step, you will not be able to use the paper feed tray in the future).
- Repeat from Step #5 above to add the other three print queues:
- Make sure you are logged on to your machine with an account, which has administrative privileges.
- Open Devices and Printers located in Control Panel.
- In the address bar located at the top of the window type the following address including backslashes \\uprintps.nexus.uwaterloo.ca
- A window titled Windows Security should appear. Type your username and password and click ok. Make sure your username is preceeded by "NEXUS\" example: NEXUS\your_username
- A list of available printers should be displayed. Right click on the following printers you want to install:
- And choose "Connect..."
- You should be prompted to install the driver, confirm the installation.
- The printer should now appear in the Devices and Printers window and be ready for use.