- most staff and faculty systems provided and maintained by Arts Computing through the Arts Computer Replacement Program
Managed computers in the Faculty of Arts may periodically prompt you to install updates. This page is a resource to help you determine which of these prompts you can safely respond to.
If you have any questions about an unexpected message appearing on your ACO-managed computer, please contact:
- the ACO Help Desk, or
- your department's support person for answers.
The following reminder will pop-up when your Windows PC software can be updated.
What to do? Click on "download now". Your system will automatically reboot.
The following reminder appears when there is new software available.
What to do? Click on the pop-up to view the list of available software. The software will be installed automatically if there is a deadline. You can initiate the installation yourself at a convenient.
This pop-up reminds you that there is recently installed software that requires you to reboot your PC.
What to do? Restart your computer during your lunchtime, at end of the day, or when you have some downtime.
The pop-up below indicates that there are software changes required on your system.
What to do?
- Ignore the pop-up (It will disappear)
- Click on the pop-up to access the Software Center's "Software Changes" summary.
The follow pop-up indicates that your computer will reboot once the timer has run out.
What to do?
- Click on "Restart" if you want your PC to reboot immediately.
- Select how long you would like to wait until your PC restarts and click on "Postpone" if there is a more convenient time for your PC to reboot.
- Click on "Minimize" to let the timer run out. If you do choose this option, the following pop-up will appear at the bottom right of your screen:
The pop-ups below typically appear in the top right corner of your screen. They inform you on available software and updates.
What to do?
- Software upgrades: Some upgrades can take a long time, or make major changes to your computer. Contact ACO for helping confirming the impact and any compatibility issues.
The following message pops-up when there is available software that cannot automatically be installed or updated.
What to do? If you have time to wait for an installation and a possible reboot, install/update the software immediately.
The pop-up below is related to Office applications for Macs. It comes up when you need to determine how frequently you would like your system to check for Microsoft updates.
What to do? We recommend that you select "automatically" and choose weekly or monthly. Once you've done so, click on "Check for Updates".
Managed Software Center
Below is the Managed Software Center application home page. This application allows you to install software on your managed machine.
The following image is the "Other available updates" page on Managed Software Center. On this page, there are many available software packages listed.
Note: users don't need admin credentials to install software or updates from the center.
Questions or concerns?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding Mac or Windows pop-ups, please contact the ACO Help Desk, email@example.com or ext. 33190.