Computing questions? Connect with the Arts Computing Office Help Desk on our live chat! Available Monday to Friday, 9:30AM - 4:30PM, with some exceptions.
Why is this happening? The recommendation to move students and employees to a single email domain (i.e. email@example.com) was an outcome of a review of the current email environment that was conducted as part of the project to investigate moving Waterloo employee email to the Office 365 cloud environment.
What is the impact? All Waterloo students and employees will use the @uwaterloo.ca email domain.
What are the benefits? A common email domain will allow for:
- Improved collaboration between students and employees using Office 365 apps
- Simplified troubleshooting and support processes
- Clarification and simplification of login processes for systems used by both students and employees (e.g. LEARN, Quest)
When is this change taking place? The change is tentatively scheduled to take place in April 2020.
What about email messages sent to/from @edu.uwaterloo.ca accounts?
- An alias will be created for existing students who have an @edu.uwaterloo.ca account, allowing email sent to this account to be delivered to their new @uwaterloo.ca account
- The alias will be in place until April 2022
- Students will no longer be able to send email from the @edu.uwaterloo.ca domain
- New students, who did not previously have an @edu.uwaterloo.ca account, will only receive email sent to their @uwaterloo.ca account.
Additional communications will be shared more directly with students once the work and associated timelines are confirmed.
Questions or concerns? Please contact the IST Service Desk, firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 44357.