Computing questions? Connect with the Arts Computing Office Help Desk on our live chat! Available Monday to Friday, 9:30AM - 4:30PM, with some exceptions.
What is happening? To support the “Improving Student Name Usage” project, changes are being implemented to WatIAM so that a student or employee’s preferred/chosen first name will appear as their first name in WatIAM, and in systems that receive name information from WatIAM. (Note: systems that receive name information from Quest will not be impacted with this implementation.)
When is this happening? Throughout the week of December 16-20, 2019. To ensure minimal impact to campus should issues be identified, the conversion will be completed in the following order: Information Systems & Technology and Registrar’s Office; remaining administrative departments; students; faculty.
Why is this important to me?
- Once this change is made, the familiar name field in WatIAM will become the chosen/preferred first name field for all individuals, regardless of affiliation (e.g. student, employee, retiree) and may impact University employees who have opted to enter a preferred/chosen name in WatIAM at any time in the past.
- The preferred/chosen name will also be reflected in systems that receive name information from WatIAM.
- Once this implementation is complete, the name provided by WatIAM will be the preferred/chosen first name (or, legal/primary name if no preferred/chosen name was selected).
What does this mean?
- Employees who have entered a familiar name in WatIAM will now see this name in systems that access WatIAM, such as the White Pages, Office 365, DUO, and their email account.
- If the employee has no chosen/preferred/familiar name entered in WatIAM, the field will continue to display their legal first name.
- If you maintain a system that receives name information from WatIAM, your system should ideally be updated when a name change is processed. Changes will be reflected across systems that use WatIAM name fields within 24-48 hours
What do I need to do? If you are aware of a system that receives name information from WatIAM, but it does not currently refresh that name information when a name change is processed in WatIAM, please submit a ticket to rt-IST-WatIAM@rt.uwaterloo.ca.
Will this change affect campus systems? Yes. Please visit the WatIAM website to review the specific changes for several campus systems, and to learn more about where your chosen/preferred name may display.
Questions or concerns? Please contact the IST Service Desk, firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 44357.