You are here

Eligibility Criteria

For any academic exchange or study abroad program, there are specific minimum requirements you must meet.

Year level

Most of our exchange agreements require you to have completed at least 2 years of university studies before going on your exchange. Most students go away on exchange in their third year. Students wanting to go away in their fourth year can, but should expect a delayed graduation as a result.

Minimum average

The minimum overall average to be considered for an Academic Exchange varies considerably by country and university. To be eligible, you need to be in at least “Satisfactory Standing” and have an overall average of at least 70%. However, many of our Exchange partners require overall averages in excess of 80%  (i.e. “Excellent Standing at UW”), so being in “Satisfactory Standing” may not be sufficient. Please see specific requirements for each university (click "Search Programs" in the top left corner to find the applicable school) to determine the relative level of competitiveness to get matched with each school over the past couple of years.

Language requirements

Many of our exchange programs do not require you to be able to speak the official language of the country you are going to. Exceptions include some programs in France and Sweden, and most programs in China, Germany, Spain, and Switzerland. Note: Proficiency or fluency in the language of the country you’re going to may allow you to take a wider range of courses while on exchange.

Co-op vs regular study

Both co-op and regular students are eligible to go on exchange. If you’re in co-op, you need to plan your exchange more carefully to make sure you can complete all of your requirements before graduation. You may have to change your sequence of work and study terms, or replace one of your work terms with an exchange.