Adding an international experience to your degree doesn't have to break the bank!
Most students who live in another country for a term find that they spend just about 30% more than they would if they stayed at Waterloo. Not a bad deal for a once-in-a-lifetime experience!
Paying for courses
During an exchange, you pay the same tuition rates to Waterloo. You don't pay international student tuition or fees to the other university.
You continue to be eligible for OSAP and other forms of financial assistance while on exchange.
Paying for other expenses
You are responsible for covering application, travel, and living costs related to your exchange. Living expenses vary by country, so please review cost of living to help you calculate how much your exchange might cost.
Exchange Scholarships and Bursaries
We recognize the value of broadening your knowledge and experience by spending time abroad. That's why we have funding and awards available for international experiences.
- Scholarships and bursaries (J.R. Coutts, the Ron Eydt, and the David Johnston International Experience Awards) are available through the Students Awards and Financial Aid Office.
- If you received a University of Waterloo President's Scholarship of Distinction when you were admitted to the university, you may be able to claim a President's International Experience Award worth $1,500.
- If you're taking part in a short-term (8 weeks or less in duration) academic experience outside of Waterloo, you may be eligible to claim funding from the Dean of Arts Students' Fund. To apply, contact Robert Ryan, the Arts International Exchange Coordinator. The amount of money available varies from year to year, but is typically $500 per student.
The following resources will help you calculate your potential exchange costs.
- University of Exeter (England)
- University of Lancaster (England)
- University of Leeds (England)
- University College London (England)
- University of Newcastle (England)
- University of Sheffield (England)
- University of Sussex (England) (See "Living Expenses" - you will not pay tuition to Sussex)
- University of Swansea (England)
- University of Ulster, Coleraine campus (Northern Ireland)
- University of Warwick (England)