Statue of man on a horse.

Adding an international experience to your degree doesn't have to break the bank! Most students who live in another country for a term find that they spend just about 30% more than they would if they stayed at Waterloo. Not a bad deal for a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

Tuition Costs

During an exchange, you simply pay the same tuition rates to UWaterloo - you don't pay international student tuition to the partner university. You're also eligible for OSAP and other forms of financial assistance while on exchange.

Other Expenses

You are responsible for covering application, travel, and living costs related to your exchange. These expenses vary by country. To help you calculate how much your exchange might cost please review living and housing expense details found under each partner universities' program page.

Exchange Scholarships and Bursaries 

We recognize the value of broadening your knowledge and experience by spending time abroad. That's why we have funding and awards available for international experiences:

  • Scholarships and bursaries are available through the Students Awards and Financial Aid Office (J.R. Coutts, the Ron Eydt, and the David Johnston International Experience Awards).
  • If you received a University of Waterloo President's Scholarship of Distinction when you were admitted to the university, you may be able to claim the additional President's International Experience Award worth $1,500.
  • If you're taking part in a short-term (8 weeks or less) academic experience outside of Waterloo, you may be eligible to claim funding from the Dean of Arts Students' Fund. To apply, contact Eric Breugst, the Arts International Exchange Coordinator. The amount of money available varies from year to year, but is typically $500 per student.

Back to top