Closeup of stop lights.

While on exchange, you take courses at another university and get credit towards your degree at Waterloo.

How it works

  • You need the equivalent of a 60% in a course at another university in order for it to transfer back to your degree at Waterloo. Conversions to a 60% are available for each university we partner with.
  • The grades you get in your exchange courses are not calculated in your average and will only show up on your Waterloo transcript as credit (CR) or no credit (NCR).

Finding courses and determining course equivalents

Most universities have information about their courses available online. We’ve provided you with useful links for finding courses at each university on our destination pages.  

Most of the courses you’ll take on exchange won’t be direct equivalents to courses offered at UWaterloo, and therefore will transfer back to your degree as general credits (for example, PSYCH 2XX or ENGL 3XX). You can see some of the courses that past exchange students have taken and the equivalents they received by viewing our destination pages. Please note: this data is provided for informational purposes only and is not a guaranteed given that course equivalents must be approved by an academic advisor—no guesswork allowed!

Registering in courses

Once you’ve been accepted by the partner university, they will provide you with more information about how to register in courses. Regardless of when or how you register in courses at the partner university, you must pay your tuition to Waterloo by the normal deadlines.