The University of Waterloo won an award in the Employee Engagement category at the Greater Kitchener Waterloo Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards held Thursday, February 18.
“Each week, we hear stories from the University of Waterloo profiling student success, faculty research and staff accomplishments," says Associate Provost, Human Resources Marilyn Thompson. "Behind each achievement is a group of talented, motivated and enthusiastic people working in ways that quite literally will change our world. It’s especially reassuring to be recognized for our efforts to make our faculty and staff feel valued and engaged.”
Key to the University's successful nomination was its commitment to celebrating diversity and promoting inclusivity within its workforce through initiatives including:
- The HeForShe Impact 10x10x10 initiative commitments to reducing employment barriers for women at Waterloo, including boosting female student participation in STEM experiences and academic careers, enhancing female faculty representation to improve the campus environment and drive towards parity in the future, and the attraction and advancement of female leaders into senior academic and administrative positions;
- Incorporating the Principles of Inclusivity into Waterloo's workplace culture through experiential workshops that raise awareness, deepen understanding, and set expectations relating to inclusive behaviours and skills in the workplace;
- The implementation of the National Standard of Canada for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace: Waterloo is one of six organizations in Canada recognized by the Mental Health Commission of Canada as an early adopter of the program;
- The "Not Myself Today" and Mental Health Wellness Day campaigns aimed at reducing stigma and improving employee mental health at work; and
- Annual conferences including the OHD staff conference and WatITis, leadership training programs, and funding for staff excellence and international experiences.
Other nominees included Axonify, Echosims, Miller Thomson LLP, and Traces Screen Printing.