Wear your orange t-shirt on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 to support Mental Health Wellness Day.
To signify support for mental health wellness at University of Waterloo we create an “orange wave” every year by having students, staff, and faculty wear their orange Mental Health Wellness t-shirts.
Tuesday, October 20, 2015 is designated as Mental Health Wellness Day at the University of Waterloo. This marks the seventh time that the campus community has set aside a day to acknowledge the importance of mental health. We want students to know that there are a range of mental health supports available on campus and in the community. More important, we want to use the day to foster a social and academic environment that is conducive to mental health wellness.
- Walter Mittelstaedt, Director Campus Wellnes
We want our campus community to know:
- 1 in 5 Canadians will be affected by mental illness in their lifetime
- UWaterloo is a caring community and a safe place to ask for help
- We have the resources to help you
How can you help?
- Wear your orange t-shirt on October 20 to show your support.
- Share your photos of the "orange wave" on October 20 by using #uw4mentalhealth on Twitter or Instagram.
- Contact Emily Overgaard, Peer Health Education Coordinator for more information.
Order your orange t-shirt
You can order shirts for yourself or your department by completing the t-shirt order form.
- Participate in the second annual spin for mental health event hosted by The Recreation and Leisure Wellness Team.
- Spin for mental health is hosted in the SLC Great Hall on October 20 from 11am to 6pm. Spin sessions are 20 minutes long, with the exception of two 50 minute spin classes at 12pm and 5pm (see schedule below).
- Use the hashtag #spin4mentalhealth to follow the activities throughout the day.
Register for spin for mental health
Students, staff and faculty can sign up individually or as a team for one or more of the spin time slots.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to register and include:
- Individual registration: Your name, your department/faculty, whether you're a student, alumnus, staff or faculty member, and your top three preferred spinning time slots
- Group registration: Your name, your department/faculty, whether your team is made up of students, alumni, staff or faculty members, your team's names and contact information, and your top three preferred spinning time slots
Last year 15 stationary bikes were set up in the SLC Great Hall and throughout the day over 2,280 collective minutes of spinning took place. This year we will have more bikes and hope to beat last year’s record.
We've created a powerpoint slide that professors can download and use at the beginning or end of their classes on October 20. The slide reminds students of our key messages and reminds them where they can find help.