Assistive Robotics and Rehabilitation Engineering
- Neuromechanical Modeling; Robot-Based System ID
- Human-Robot Interaction and Neural Control
- Movement Analysis and Sensorimotor Deficit Modeling
- Smart Implants and Prosthetics
- Intelligent Systems and Machine Learning
- Multisensory integration
- Perception and action
- The vestibular system
- Virtual reality
[Waterloo News] September 25, 2018 "Virtual reality motion sickness may be predicted and counteracted"
[ScienceDaily] December 15, 2018 "Aging warps our perception of time, study finds"
[Record] October 12, 2017 "Aging slows perception of falls: UW study"
Orthopaedic biomechanics (ACL, knee mechanics)
Biomedical device design
- Web-based systems and applications (software engineering, applications, open data)
- Software engineering for enterprise management systems (business, government, environment, health)
Food safety using modern information and communications technology particularly the Cloud, Web and Mobile systems
- Agricultural management, precision agriculture and agri‐food technology, traceability from farm to fork
- Human body modeling for safety and protection (impact biomechanics, trauma prediction)
- Material testing, characterization and constitutive models
- Advanced modeling, additive manufacturing
- Structural crashworthiness and lightweight vehicle structures
[Waterloo Stories] October 5, 2012 "New virtual crash test dummies will have plenty to say"
- Fundamental shoulder function and dysfunction
- Creation and validation of mathematical models to predict shoulder demands
- Applications of shoulder biomechanics to workplace injury prevention
- Rehabilitative and preventative strategies for ensuring shoulder health
- Digital human modeling, Computational musculoskeletal modeling
- Motion Capture
- Upper limb biomechanics
Canada Research Chair in Shoulder Mechanics [Canada Research Chair Profile]
[Waterloo News] February 19, 2019 "How to make the push-up work for you"
[Waterloo Stories] October 7, 2013 "Reducing shoulder injuries in the workplace"
- Biomaterials: emerging metallic and hybrid-cellular materials and nanostructured surfaces
- Advanced multi-functional materials and surface modification of metals and alloys
Processing, characterization and properties of fine-grained, ultrafine-grained and nanostructured alloys
Microstructural characterization, modeling and thermo-mechanical processing of light alloy processing
Phase transformations in advanced light alloys
Cooperative systems and sensor networks (multi-agent, multi-sensor systems)
- Nonlinear, adaptive, and switched dynamical systems; robust adaptive control; nonlinear and adaptive control designs for mechatronic systems
Control applications (high performance flight and vehicle stability control, biomedical)
Robotics and intelligent systems (multi-agent, motion planning, vision control, biomedical and assistive robotics)
- Control system development for Driver Assistance Systems
- Fault-tolerant state estimation for biped robots
- Distributed Estimation
- Control Theory
- Multibody Dynamics
- Biomedical systems & biomechatronics - rehabilitation, assistive devices, intelligent design of prostheses and orthoses, 3D body surface measurement
- Optomechatronics - computer vision (2D and 3D), range-image registration, range-sensing, range-sensor design, vision-based 3D surface measurement systems, optical system design, laser-camera range, sensor design, phase-shifting / fringe-projection 3D surface measurement systems, real-time full-field 3D imaging sensors / real-time full-field 3D surface measurement systems, hand-held 3D imaging sensors / hand-held 3D surface measurement systems, vision-based robot control, vision-based human-robot interfaces
- Robotics - robot teleoperation, robot vision, human-robot interfaces, human-robot interaction, human-guided robot learning, vision-based robot control (visual servoing), human-assistive/service robots
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
- Integrative cancer biology
- Combination of cancer treatments
- Nano-scale drug delivery
- Cancer stem cells
[Waterloo News] June 23, 2016 "Nanotechnology and math deliver two-in-one punch for cancer therapy resistance"
[Waterloo Stories] February 11, 2015 "Study finds new lethal combination of cancer drugs shrinks tumors"
[Waterloo Stories] January 16, 2018 "Math can predict how cancer cells evolve"
Robotics, robot learning
Human motion analysis (sports training, rehabilitation)
[Waterloo News] May 18, 2017 "Technology aims to improve physiotherapy outcomes using sensors and machine learning"
[CBB researcher story] January 9, 2013 "An Improved Road to Recovery"
- Musculoskeletal biomechanics related to human health and injury prevention, and the role that advanced age has on these relationships.
- Fall-related tissue trauma including hip fractures, spinal cord injuries, and traumatic brain injuries
- Workplace musculoskeletal disorders (WMSD)
- Orthopedic biomechanics
[YouTube] Andrew Laing, Department of Kinesiology, UW
- Medical device and diagnostic development for hearing and hearing loss
- Audiology and Otolaryngology
- Acoustic, Vibration, physiological and cadaveric measurements, animal models
- Aging, Biomechanics
- Neuroscience and neurological disorders
- Balance, gait, exercise
- Understanding how the brain and other parts of the central nervous system control movements of the body
- Using advanced measurements systems to improve recovery time after a neurological injury (such as a stroke) and minimize age-related effects on movement control (such as reducing the risk of falling).
- Electroencephalography and electromyography
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation, magnetic resonance imaging, peripheral nerve stimulation
- Galvanic skin measurement
- Eye-tracker, motion analysis, and kinetic measurement
[Waterloo News] August 19, 2015 "Wearable technologies will improve stroke rehabilitation"
[Waterloo Stories] February 4, 2014 "Finding your way after a stroke"
- Medical devices relating to orthopaedic surgery
- Aging, biomechanics, personalized medicine, virtual reality, wearable devices, surgical navigation
- 3D printing/additive manufacturing, actuators, computational modelling, imaging, medical devices
Biomechanics engineering (injury rehabilitation, assistive devices for elderly, athletes, disabled)
Mechatronic and robotic systems
Multibody system dynamics
Computational methods for analysis and design
Advanced vehicle systems
Canada Research Chair in Biomechatronic System Dynamics [Canada Research Chair Profile]
NSERC/Toyota/Maplesoft Industrial Research Chair in Mathematics-Based Modelling and Design [NSERC Profile]
[Waterloo Stories] February 20, 2019 "Engineering innovation for wheelchair curlers"
[Waterloo Stories] August 5, 2016 "Rio Olympics 2016: Engineering speed for the Canadian track cycling team"
[Waterloo Stories] June 17, 2015 "Waterloo’s $10M dream facility for smarter, greener cars"
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
Calcium channel analysis for target drug delivery for treatment of pain, arrhythmias, angina, and potential benefits in treatment of epilepsy and cancer.
Structure, function and pharmacology of calcium channels and sodium channels
Structure and function and analysis of NALCN cation channel and anti-calcium channel toxins
The Spafford Neurobiology Research Laboratory studies voltage-gated calcium channels, molecular physiology, biophysics, cell biology, protein biochemistry, fluorescence microscopy and tissue cultures.
[Science News] April 25, 2014 "Waterloo discovers a key regulator in the pacemakers of our brain and heart"
Rehabilitation engineering and assistive technologies (gerontology, Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, fall risk in stroke survivors, and rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury)
Biomedical signal analysis
[Waterloo Stories] July 8, 2014 "GPS technology may help detect Alzheimer’s disease earlier"
Biomaterials and mechanics of biomaterials and tissues
Bone quality and fragility, collagen
Engineering of bone mimetic materials for skeletal reconstruction (3D printing)
- Identifying mechanisms linking physical exposures with knee osteoarthritis
- Global aim of preventing exposure-related musculoskeletal disorders