- Simulation, light and matter interactions, biomedical applications
- Predictive simulation of light interactions with organic and inorganic materials
- Realistic modeling of material appearance for image synthesis
- Remote sensing (effects of adverse environmental conditions on crops and forests)
- Biomedical optics (development of procedures and equipment for the prevention and treatment of different medical conditions, from jaundice to skin cancer)
- Intelligent technology
- Ambient assisted living
- Zero-effort technology
- Aging, health, and wellbeing
- Assistive Technology
- Health informatics
Translational research in healthcare and medicine
- Health system integration
- Semantic interoperability
- Healthcare decision making and decision support
- Health data analytics
- Medical imaging informatics
- Patient safety
- Mobile health
- Wearable devices
[Waterloo Stories] July 10, 2017 "Waterloo software improves care for kidney patients"
[CBB researcher story] July 21, 2015 "Data management in Health Care"
- Effect of food, beverages, herbal products and other drugs on drug metabolism and disposition
- Investigation of the interaction between grapefruit juice and prescription medication
Intelligent drug delivery system design (dermal, transdermal, transmucosal, ocular, and intranasal) for Dermatology, Ophthalmology, Cancer, Immunology (Glaucoma, neural degenerative disorders, HPV, LSIL/CIN I, cervical cancer, Scleroderma)
Non-invasive drug delivery technologies, biomolecular devices
Gene therapy, protein, and vaccine development
Nanomedicine, pharmaceutical development
Nanotoxicology (nanomaterials, bioimaging, biomarkers)
[Waterloo Stories] July 5, 2012 "Revolutionary drug delivery"
Mobile health technologies and social media in medication management
Clinical and post-marketing phases of medication use
Improve medication use and primary care via emerging technologies (mobile apps, social media)
Pharmacy remuneration models and chronic disease management services in the community pharmacy setting
Usability of mobile health applications and wearable activity trackers for older adults living with chronic disease.
[Daily Bulletin] June 1, 2018, 11 CBB Members Named Outstanding Performance Award Winners
[Waterloo Stories] November 16, 2016 "The opioid crisis: How pharmacists can help save lives"
- Imaging, treatment, and prevention of diseases
- Fabrication and characterization of innovative biomaterials for drug delivery systems (nanoparticles, medical devices, biodegradable films, hydrogels, etc.)
- Vaccine development for protection against HIV and other diseases
[Waterloo News] February 6, 2019 "Researchers find new treatment for Chlamydia"
[Waterloo News] April 16, 2018 "Developing new way to fight transmission of HIV"
- Economics of public health, health policy, international health
- Economic aspects of health and nutrition, internationally cost-effectiveness, cost, and prioritization of interventions
- Expertise in micronutrients, undernutrition, the double-burden of nutrition and other interventions
- Cost-effectiveness of walk-in counselling services in Ontario
CIGI Chair in Global Health Economics [CIGI Profile]
[AHS News] March 15,2018 "Part of international team examining medical testing in resource-limited countries"
- Clinical trial design
- Contact lens performance
- Drug delivery
- Ocular biomaterials
- Proteins at interfaces
University Research Chair
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
Integrative kidney physiology
March 29, 2018 "Canada 150 Research Chair joins Department of Applied Mathematics"
Biophysics of lipids and lipid-protein interactions
The role of structural changes and physical properties of lipid template in controlling biological processes and diseases
Biomedical nanotechnology (lipid films, molecular mechanism of Alzheimer's disease)
Drug development and delivery systems, antimicrobial peptides in lung disorders
Fluorescence and atomic force microscopy
Kelvin probe force microscopy and single molecule force spectroscopy
[Global Impact] May 2018, studying Alzheimer's at a molecular level to find a cure
[YouTube Lecture] October 1, 2014 "Scanning probe microscopy in biomedical research"
- Medical devices relating to orthopaedic surgery
- Aging, biomechanics, personalized medicine, virtual reality, wearable devices, surgical navigation
- 3D printing/additive manufacturing, actuators, computational modelling, imaging, medical devices
Proteins: energetics, kinetics, mechanisms, structure, dynamics, folding, function, evolution, engineering and design, thermodynamics, kinetics (ALS, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, prions, cancer)
High resolution nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (fluorescence, CD, NMR, FTIR, DLS)
Bioinformatics and computational modelling
Biocomputing and protein engineering
- Biophysical chemistry and biochemistry
- Bionanotechnology and biomaterials
[Waterloo News] November 24, 2015 "New insights into protein structure could change the future of biomedicine"
[Chemistry News] August 20, 2014 "Chemist Elizabeth Meiering takes on the ALS ice bucket challenge"
- mHealth and wearable technology design
- Ubiquitous sensors for smart homes and remote patient monitoring
- Big data and health data analytics
- Technology to support longer independent living
[MaRS] April 26, 2018 "UbiLab team wins Healthy Behaviour Data Challenge"
Protein and DNA separation analysis towards disease diagnosis and drug discovery
Biosensing and Devices (bacterial, proteins, fluorescence)
Living cell analysis and water toxicity testing
Lab-on-a-Chip technology (point-of-care biomedical diagnosis , chemical detection, protein separation and identification, environmental testing)
Micro-scale fluid mechanics, droplet microfluidics and nanofluidics
- High Throughput Screening For Drug Screening
- Manufacturing Nanomaterials and Carbon Management
Canada Research Chair in Lab-on-a-Chip Technology [Canada Research Chair Profile]
[Waterloo Stories] June 14, 2012 "Creating the tiny future of science"
- Satellite Campus, UW-Schlegel Research Institute for Aging, Research Building, Sensors and Devices Lab
- Bio-wearable electronics and systems
- Bio-electromagnetics, bio-technology, bio-sensors and energy harvesting systems
- RF/microwave/millimeter wave/Terahertz (THz) circuits and antenna systems
- Radio frequency (RF)/microwave packaging and Electromagnetic compatibility
- (EMC)/Electromagnetic interface (EMI) analyses
- Vehicle and UAV wireless communications, navigation systems, and telematics systems
- Complex propagation and scattering phenomena
- Devices and novel electromagnetic materials and wireless sensors
- Top downloaded paper in Medical Physics (arXiv) – October 2019
- Best Imaging Paper, CVS, 2018
- ACM MobileHCI 2017 Best Worskshop Paper Award
- IEEE APS 2017 SPC Honorable Mention Paper Award
- IEEE Sensors Most Popular Article (March 2017)
- IEEE Sensors Annual Volume Cover Page
[CBB Events] November 15, 2019 "Professor Shaker organizes a Health Canada Regulatory insights Workshop"
[CNN] November 11, 2019 "Scientists develop sensor to save children and pets from hot car deaths"
[Waterloo News] October 29, 2019 "Advancing healthcare through innovative technology"
[Inside Digital Health] June 3, 2019 "Study: Radar Monitors Sleep with Accuracy Comparable to Current Standards"
[Waterloo News] June 28, 2018 "AI and radar technologies could help diabetics manage their disease"
[Engineering News] June 28, 2018 "Researchers developing a prick-free glucose monitor"
[RD Magazine] June 28, 2018 "AI and Radar Technologies Could Help Diabetics Manage Their Disease"
[Engineering News] July 5, 2016 "Waterloo wins big with tiny power device"
Big data, computer vision and image processing, health engineering, terahertz imaging, fuzzy image processing
Machine intelligence, opposition-based learning, pattern recognition
Medical imaging and analysis (CT, MR, and ultrasound imaging)
[News Medical Life Sciences] June 28, 2018 Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in Medical Imaging
[GRH News] May 31, 2018, "GRH partners with UW researchers and Huron Digital Pathology to create a “digital revolution” in pathology with medical search engine"
[Daily Bulletin] May 29, 2018, $3.7M in funding for AI and medical imaging project
[Exchange Magazine] May 22, 2018, Speaks about “Faster, Better, More Reliable than Deep Features: A Projection-Based, Pathologist-Centric Approach to Identification of Histopathology Images” at the Pathology Informatics Summit in Pittsburgh, PA.
[YouTube Lecture] January 21, 2015 "BIG Data, Medical Imaging and Machine Intelligence"
[YouTube Lecture] October 1, 2014 "Medical Imaging: Pixels, Consensus and Learning"
[Waterloo Stories] January 9, 2013 "Making it harder for cancer to hide"
Rehabilitation engineering and assistive technologies (gerontology, Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, fall risk in stroke survivors, and rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury)
Biomedical signal analysis
[Waterloo Stories] July 8, 2014 "GPS technology may help detect Alzheimer’s disease earlier"
Stem cells, nanofabrication and advancement of biomaterials in healthcare technologies to repair, replace or regenerate damaged tissue and organ structures
Fabrication and application of nano-structure for biomedical applications in neural, vascular, and cornea tissue engineering
Biomaterial approach to study ex-vivo pluripotent stem cell expansion
Modulation of cell behavior with nanotopography
Topography-regulation of stem cells lineage commitment and differentiation
Differentiation of adult and pluripotent stem cells with nanotopography
[National Centre for Biotechnology Information] August 31, 2019 "Key factors for the assessment of mobility in advanced dementia: A consensus approach"
[Ontario Neurodegenerative Disease Research Initiative] September 26, 2019 "Wearable technologies to improve health outcomes in people with neurodegenerative diseases?"