Assistive Robotics and Rehabilitation Engineering
- Neuromechanical Modeling; Robot-Based System ID
- Human-Robot Interaction and Neural Control
- Movement Analysis and Sensorimotor Deficit Modeling
- Smart Implants and Prosthetics
- Intelligent Systems and Machine Learning
- Intelligent technology
- Ambient assisted living
- Zero-effort technology
- Aging, health, and wellbeing
- Assistive Technology
- Health informatics
Translational research in healthcare and medicine
- Health system integration
- Semantic interoperability
- Healthcare decision making and decision support
- Health data analytics
- Medical imaging informatics
- Patient safety
- Mobile health
- Wearable devices
[Waterloo Stories] July 10, 2017 "Waterloo software improves care for kidney patients"
[CBB researcher story] July 21, 2015 "Data management in Health Care"
- Fundamental shoulder function and dysfunction
- Creation and validation of mathematical models to predict shoulder demands
- Applications of shoulder biomechanics to workplace injury prevention
- Rehabilitative and preventative strategies for ensuring shoulder health
- Digital human modeling, Computational musculoskeletal modeling
- Motion Capture
- Upper limb biomechanics
Canada Research Chair in Shoulder Mechanics [Canada Research Chair Profile]
[Waterloo News] February 19, 2019 "How to make the push-up work for you"
[Waterloo Stories] October 7, 2013 "Reducing shoulder injuries in the workplace"
Cooperative systems and sensor networks (multi-agent, multi-sensor systems)
- Nonlinear, adaptive, and switched dynamical systems; robust adaptive control; nonlinear and adaptive control designs for mechatronic systems
Control applications (high performance flight and vehicle stability control, biomedical)
Robotics and intelligent systems (multi-agent, motion planning, vision control, biomedical and assistive robotics)
Discovering biomechanical determinants of occupational performance
Advancing functional capacity evaluation
Advancing digital human modeling
Inform better, safer products
Osteoporosis, fracture risk assessment algorithms, exercise interventions for reducing fracture risk in high risk individuals.
Bone health and body composition in individuals with neurological impairment due to spinal cord injury (SCI).
Medical imaging analysis to explore bone and muscle responses to activity or neurologic impairment, and evaluate new methods for image analysis.
Rehabilitation and quality indicators, and in long term care
- Control system development for Driver Assistance Systems
- Fault-tolerant state estimation for biped robots
- Distributed Estimation
- Control Theory
- Multibody Dynamics
Assistive technology (physical, cognitive disabilities, dementia)
Computational social science
Affective computing, computer vision
[VJDementia] "The complex issue of emotion"
[Computer Science News] June 29, 2017 "ACT@Home: An emotionally intelligent cognitive assistant to help people with Alzheimer’s disease"
[Waterloo Stories] January 2, 2013 "Making life easier for those living with Alzheimer's"
- Mobility assistive devices
- Neuro-Musculo-Skeletal Modeling of Human Locomotion
- Autonomous Navigation Using Artificial Neural Networks
- Dynamic Seam Tracking for Robotic Welding, Arc Acoustics in GMA welding, Walking Robot Welder
- Automatic end-of-arm and tool-centre-point calibration
- Improving nutrition and health in hospitals, long term care and the community
[Grand River Hospital News] March 15, 2019 "Good food, better healing: How GRH is studying to improve food for patients in hospital"
[Waterloo News] March 23, 2017 "Survey will reduce rates of malnutrition in hospitals"
- Smart structures, actuators, biomechanics, assistive devices, human-robot interaction, wearable sensors (fitness, monitoring, fall prevention, Alzheimer's)
- Ophthalmic instrumentation, senors, technologies and hardware design (MRI, CT, ultrasound)
- Micro-energy harvester through human locomotion
- Magnetically driven medical microrobots for drug delivery and microsurgery
- Regenerative prosthetic knee, and cost-effective prosthetic leg (structural design, sensory system, and controller)
- Micromanipulation using magnetic levitation
- Auto-focusing mechanism for microscopy using electrorestrictive
- Clean room applications
[Waterloo Stories] August 28, 2018 "New sensor could help doctors monitor patient progress from a distance"
[Waterloo Stories] March 2, 2014 "Charge your phone while you shovel - and shiver"
- Biomedical systems & biomechatronics - rehabilitation, assistive devices, intelligent design of prostheses and orthoses, 3D body surface measurement
- Optomechatronics - computer vision (2D and 3D), range-image registration, range-sensing, range-sensor design, vision-based 3D surface measurement systems, optical system design, laser-camera range, sensor design, phase-shifting / fringe-projection 3D surface measurement systems, real-time full-field 3D imaging sensors / real-time full-field 3D surface measurement systems, hand-held 3D imaging sensors / hand-held 3D surface measurement systems, vision-based robot control, vision-based human-robot interfaces
- Robotics - robot teleoperation, robot vision, human-robot interfaces, human-robot interaction, human-guided robot learning, vision-based robot control (visual servoing), human-assistive/service robots
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
Robotics, robot learning
Human motion analysis (sports training, rehabilitation)
[Waterloo News] May 18, 2017 "Technology aims to improve physiotherapy outcomes using sensors and machine learning"
[CBB researcher story] January 9, 2013 "An Improved Road to Recovery"
Biomechanics engineering (injury rehabilitation, assistive devices for elderly, athletes, disabled)
Mechatronic and robotic systems
Multibody system dynamics
Computational methods for analysis and design
Advanced vehicle systems
Canada Research Chair in Biomechatronic System Dynamics [Canada Research Chair Profile]
NSERC/Toyota/Maplesoft Industrial Research Chair in Mathematics-Based Modelling and Design [NSERC Profile]
[Waterloo Stories] February 20, 2019 "Engineering innovation for wheelchair curlers"
[Waterloo Stories] August 5, 2016 "Rio Olympics 2016: Engineering speed for the Canadian track cycling team"
[Waterloo Stories] June 17, 2015 "Waterloo’s $10M dream facility for smarter, greener cars"
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
- mHealth and wearable technology design
- Ubiquitous sensors for smart homes and remote patient monitoring
- Big data and health data analytics
- Technology to support longer independent living
[MaRS] April 26, 2018 "UbiLab team wins Healthy Behaviour Data Challenge"
[National Centre for Biotechnology Information] August 31, 2019 "Key factors for the assessment of mobility in advanced dementia: A consensus approach"
[Ontario Neurodegenerative Disease Research Initiative] September 26, 2019 "Wearable technologies to improve health outcomes in people with neurodegenerative diseases?"
- Satellite Campus, UW-Schlegel Research Institute for Aging, Research Building, Sensors and Devices Lab
- Bio-wearable electronics and systems
- Bio-electromagnetics, bio-technology, bio-sensors and energy harvesting systems
- RF/microwave/millimeter wave/Terahertz (THz) circuits and antenna systems
- Radio frequency (RF)/microwave packaging and Electromagnetic compatibility
- (EMC)/Electromagnetic interface (EMI) analyses
- Vehicle and UAV wireless communications, navigation systems, and telematics systems
- Complex propagation and scattering phenomena
- Devices and novel electromagnetic materials and wireless sensors
- Top downloaded paper in Medical Physics (arXiv) – October 2019
- Best Imaging Paper, CVS, 2018
- ACM MobileHCI 2017 Best Worskshop Paper Award
- IEEE APS 2017 SPC Honorable Mention Paper Award
- IEEE Sensors Most Popular Article (March 2017)
- IEEE Sensors Annual Volume Cover Page
[CBB Events] November 15, 2019 "Professor Shaker organizes a Health Canada Regulatory insights Workshop"
[CNN] November 11, 2019 "Scientists develop sensor to save children and pets from hot car deaths"
[Waterloo News] October 29, 2019 "Advancing healthcare through innovative technology"
[Inside Digital Health] June 3, 2019 "Study: Radar Monitors Sleep with Accuracy Comparable to Current Standards"
[Waterloo News] June 28, 2018 "AI and radar technologies could help diabetics manage their disease"
[Engineering News] June 28, 2018 "Researchers developing a prick-free glucose monitor"
[RD Magazine] June 28, 2018 "AI and Radar Technologies Could Help Diabetics Manage Their Disease"
[Engineering News] July 5, 2016 "Waterloo wins big with tiny power device"
Rehabilitation engineering and assistive technologies (gerontology, Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, fall risk in stroke survivors, and rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury)
Biomedical signal analysis
[Waterloo Stories] July 8, 2014 "GPS technology may help detect Alzheimer’s disease earlier"
Biomedical image processing and analysis (prostate, breast, lung and dermatological cancer analysis, retinal photoreceptor and blood vessel analysis, musculoskeletal kinematic analysis
Remote sensing data processing and analysis (sea ice, underwater object, oil spill analysis)
Perceptual based video and image processing (noise reduction, compression, enhancement)
Computer vision and pattern recognition
Multimedia management systems
3D graphics and game development
Cognitive radio networks
Canada Research Chair in Medical Imaging Systems [Canada Research Chair Profile]
[Daily Bulletin] June 1, 2018, 11 CBB Members Named Outstanding Performance Award Winners
[Waterloo News] May 15, 2018 "Researchers combine wearable technology and AI to predict the onset of health problems"
[The Star] February 9, 2018 "How TheRedPin aims to take a swipe at the real estate industry"
[Waterloo News] June 7, 2017 "Artificial intelligence-driven imaging research makes diagnosing disease easier"
[Waterloo Stories] January 28, 2017 "Artificial intelligence and the Waterloo-Toronto tech supercluster"
[Waterloo Stories] May 20, 2016 "Breakthrough tech helps doctors more accurately diagnose cancer"
[CBB researcher story] January 9, 2013 "Improving Early Diagnosis to Save Lives"
[Waterloo Stories] January 9, 2013 "Making it harder for cancer to hide"
[YouTube Lecture] October 1, 2014 "Integrative systems for biomedical imaging and analysis"