Assistive Robotics and Rehabilitation Engineering
- Neuromechanical Modeling; Robot-Based System ID
- Human-Robot Interaction and Neural Control
- Movement Analysis and Sensorimotor Deficit Modeling
- Smart Implants and Prosthetics
- Intelligent Systems and Machine Learning
- Multisensory integration
- Perception and action
- The vestibular system
- Virtual reality
[Waterloo News] September 25, 2018 "Virtual reality motion sickness may be predicted and counteracted"
[ScienceDaily] December 15, 2018 "Aging warps our perception of time, study finds"
[Record] October 12, 2017 "Aging slows perception of falls: UW study"
- Intelligent technology
- Ambient assisted living
- Zero-effort technology
- Aging, health, and wellbeing
- Assistive Technology
Human factors and cognitive ergonomics (driving, healthcare, aerospace
Human performance and mental workload modeling, cognitive modeling
Human-computer interaction, interface evaluation and design
Controlled experiments, discrete event simulation, computational modeling
Perception, decision making, skill learning, fatigue
Wearable devices, environment-aware devices
- Classical and visual optics
- Optical system design, science and engineering
- Psychophysics/human factors
- Visual perception, visual optics math modelling
- Biomedical image processing
[CBB researcher story] July 29, 2015 "Image processing to automate early glaucoma diagnosis"
- Medical devices relating to orthopaedic surgery
- Aging, biomechanics, personalized medicine, virtual reality, wearable devices, surgical navigation
- 3D printing/additive manufacturing, actuators, computational modelling, imaging, medical devices
- Simulation & Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality
- Novice And Older Driver Training
- Predictive & Conceptual Modeling Of Behavior
- Eye Tracking
- Attention & Cognition
- Decision Making
- Automotive Human Factors
- Autonomous Vehicles And Connected Vehicles & Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Caregiver Behaviors & Errors
- Assistive & Automotive Interfaces
- Vulnerable Road User Safety (Pedestrians & Bicyclists)
- Motorcyclist Safety
- Special Populations (ADHD & Dementia)
- Traffic Control Devices & Roadway Infrastructure Design
- Virtual Reality
- Wearables Devices
- Computer Human Interaction, haptics, design
- Data Science
- Mental Health
- Nutritional Science
[YouTube] October 11, 2018 "DualPanto: A Haptic Device that Enables Blind Users to Continuously Interact with Virtual Worlds"
- Satellite Campus, UW-Schlegel Research Institute for Aging, Research Building, Sensors and Devices Lab
- Bio-wearable electronics and systems
- Bio-electromagnetics, bio-technology, bio-sensors and energy harvesting systems
- RF/microwave/millimeter wave/Terahertz (THz) circuits and antenna systems
- Radio frequency (RF)/microwave packaging and Electromagnetic compatibility
- (EMC)/Electromagnetic interface (EMI) analyses
- Vehicle and UAV wireless communications, navigation systems, and telematics systems
- Complex propagation and scattering phenomena
- Devices and novel electromagnetic materials and wireless sensors
- Top downloaded paper in Medical Physics (arXiv) – October 2019
- Best Imaging Paper, CVS, 2018
- ACM MobileHCI 2017 Best Worskshop Paper Award
- IEEE APS 2017 SPC Honorable Mention Paper Award
- IEEE Sensors Most Popular Article (March 2017)
- IEEE Sensors Annual Volume Cover Page
[CBB Events] November 15, 2019 "Professor Shaker organizes a Health Canada Regulatory insights Workshop"
[CNN] November 11, 2019 "Scientists develop sensor to save children and pets from hot car deaths"
[Waterloo News] October 29, 2019 "Advancing healthcare through innovative technology"
[Inside Digital Health] June 3, 2019 "Study: Radar Monitors Sleep with Accuracy Comparable to Current Standards"
[Waterloo News] June 28, 2018 "AI and radar technologies could help diabetics manage their disease"
[Engineering News] June 28, 2018 "Researchers developing a prick-free glucose monitor"
[RD Magazine] June 28, 2018 "AI and Radar Technologies Could Help Diabetics Manage Their Disease"
[Engineering News] July 5, 2016 "Waterloo wins big with tiny power device"
Rehabilitation engineering and assistive technologies (gerontology, Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, fall risk in stroke survivors, and rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury)
Biomedical signal analysis
[Waterloo Stories] July 8, 2014 "GPS technology may help detect Alzheimer’s disease earlier"
- Image and signal processing, coding and quality assessment
- Computational vision and pattern analysis
- Multimedia communications
- Biomedical signal and image processing
The Royal Society of Canada Fellow
University Research Chair
[Waterloo News] October 5, 2015 "Waterloo Engineer wins Emmy Award"
[Waterloo Stories] February 3, 2014 "Engineering professor awarded prestigious fellowship"
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization: