Assistive Robotics and Rehabilitation Engineering
- Neuromechanical Modeling; Robot-Based System ID
- Human-Robot Interaction and Neural Control
- Movement Analysis and Sensorimotor Deficit Modeling
- Smart Implants and Prosthetics
- Intelligent Systems and Machine Learning
- Multisensory integration
- Perception and action
- The vestibular system
- Virtual reality
[Waterloo News] September 25, 2018 "Virtual reality motion sickness may be predicted and counteracted"
[ScienceDaily] December 15, 2018 "Aging warps our perception of time, study finds"
[Record] October 12, 2017 "Aging slows perception of falls: UW study"
- Intelligent technology
- Ambient assisted living
- Zero-effort technology
- Aging, health, and wellbeing
- Assistive Technology
Human factors and cognitive ergonomics (driving, healthcare, aerospace
Human performance and mental workload modeling, cognitive modeling
Human-computer interaction, interface evaluation and design
Controlled experiments, discrete event simulation, computational modeling
Perception, decision making, skill learning, fatigue
Wearable devices, environment-aware devices
- Classical and visual optics
- Optical system design, science and engineering
- Psychophysics/human factors
- Visual perception, visual optics math modelling
- Biomedical image processing
[CBB researcher story] July 29, 2015 "Image processing to automate early glaucoma diagnosis"
- Medical devices relating to orthopaedic surgery
- Aging, biomechanics, personalized medicine, virtual reality, wearable devices, surgical navigation
- 3D printing/additive manufacturing, actuators, computational modelling, imaging, medical devices
- Simulation & Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality
- Novice And Older Driver Training
- Predictive & Conceptual Modeling Of Behavior
- Eye Tracking
- Attention & Cognition
- Decision Making
- Automotive Human Factors
- Autonomous Vehicles And Connected Vehicles & Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Caregiver Behaviors & Errors
- Assistive & Automotive Interfaces
- Vulnerable Road User Safety (Pedestrians & Bicyclists)
- Motorcyclist Safety
- Special Populations (ADHD & Dementia)
- Traffic Control Devices & Roadway Infrastructure Design
- Virtual Reality
- Wearables Devices
- Computer Human Interaction, haptics, design
- Data Science
- Mental Health
- Nutritional Science
[YouTube] October 11, 2018 "DualPanto: A Haptic Device that Enables Blind Users to Continuously Interact with Virtual Worlds"
- Bio-wearable electronics and systems
- Bio-electromagnetics, bio-technology, bio-sensors and energy harvesting systems
- RF/microwave/millimeter wave/Terahertz (THz) circuits and antenna systems
- Radio frequency (RF)/microwave packaging and Electromagnetic compatibility
- (EMC)/Electromagnetic interface (EMI) analyses
- Vehicle and UAV wireless communications, navigation systems, and telematics systems
- Complex propagation and scattering phenomena
- Devices and novel electromagnetic materials and wireless sensors
[Waterloo News] June 28, 2018 "AI and radar technologies could help diabetics manage their disease"
[Engineering News] June 28, 2018 "Researchers developing a prick-free glucose monitor"
[RD Magazine] June 28, 2018 "AI and Radar Technologies Could Help Diabetics Manage Their Disease"
[Engineering News] July 5, 2016 "Waterloo wins big with tiny power device"
Rehabilitation engineering and assistive technologies (gerontology, Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, fall risk in stroke survivors, and rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury)
Biomedical signal analysis
[Waterloo Stories] July 8, 2014 "GPS technology may help detect Alzheimer’s disease earlier"
- Image and signal processing, coding and quality assessment
- Computational vision and pattern analysis
- Multimedia communications
- Biomedical signal and image processing
The Royal Society of Canada Fellow
University Research Chair
[Waterloo News] October 5, 2015 "Waterloo Engineer wins Emmy Award"
[Waterloo Stories] February 3, 2014 "Engineering professor awarded prestigious fellowship"
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization: