Assistive Robotics and Rehabilitation Engineering
- Neuromechanical Modeling; Robot-Based System ID
- Human-Robot Interaction and Neural Control
- Movement Analysis and Sensorimotor Deficit Modeling
- Smart Implants and Prosthetics
- Intelligent Systems and Machine Learning
Cooperative systems and sensor networks (multi-agent, multi-sensor systems)
- Nonlinear, adaptive, and switched dynamical systems; robust adaptive control; nonlinear and adaptive control designs for mechatronic systems
Control applications (high performance flight and vehicle stability control, biomedical)
Robotics and intelligent systems (multi-agent, motion planning, vision control, biomedical and assistive robotics)
- Control system development for Driver Assistance Systems
- Fault-tolerant state estimation for biped robots
- Distributed Estimation
- Control Theory
- Multibody Dynamics
- Mobility assistive devices
- Neuro-Musculo-Skeletal Modeling of Human Locomotion
- Autonomous Navigation Using Artificial Neural Networks
- Dynamic Seam Tracking for Robotic Welding, Arc Acoustics in GMA welding, Walking Robot Welder
- Automatic end-of-arm and tool-centre-point calibration
- Smart structures, actuators, biomechanics, assistive devices, human-robot interaction, wearable sensors (fitness, monitoring, fall prevention, Alzheimer's)
- Ophthalmic instrumentation, senors, technologies and hardware design (MRI, CT, ultrasound)
- Micro-energy harvester through human locomotion
- Magnetically driven medical microrobots for drug delivery and microsurgery
- Regenerative prosthetic knee, and cost-effective prosthetic leg (structural design, sensory system, and controller)
- Micromanipulation using magnetic levitation
- Auto-focusing mechanism for microscopy using electrorestrictive
- Clean room applications
[Waterloo Stories] August 28, 2018 "New sensor could help doctors monitor patient progress from a distance"
[Waterloo Stories] March 2, 2014 "Charge your phone while you shovel - and shiver"
- Biomedical systems & biomechatronics - rehabilitation, assistive devices, intelligent design of prostheses and orthoses, 3D body surface measurement
- Optomechatronics - computer vision (2D and 3D), range-image registration, range-sensing, range-sensor design, vision-based 3D surface measurement systems, optical system design, laser-camera range, sensor design, phase-shifting / fringe-projection 3D surface measurement systems, real-time full-field 3D imaging sensors / real-time full-field 3D surface measurement systems, hand-held 3D imaging sensors / hand-held 3D surface measurement systems, vision-based robot control, vision-based human-robot interfaces
- Robotics - robot teleoperation, robot vision, human-robot interfaces, human-robot interaction, human-guided robot learning, vision-based robot control (visual servoing), human-assistive/service robots
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
High Resolution flexible pressure and tactile sensors
Microbial fuel cells
Nano electrodes for electrochemical detection
Flexible Electrodes for bio-interfacing, electrical mapping self-powered devices
- Cell-inorganic composites
- Multi-functional materials and devices
- Wearable sensors
- Composite membranes
- Medical devices relating to orthopaedic surgery
- Aging, biomechanics, personalized medicine, virtual reality, wearable devices, surgical navigation
- 3D printing/additive manufacturing, actuators, computational modelling, imaging, medical devices
Biomechanics engineering (injury rehabilitation, assistive devices for elderly, athletes, disabled)
Mechatronic and robotic systems
Multibody system dynamics
Computational methods for analysis and design
Advanced vehicle systems
Canada Research Chair in Biomechatronic System Dynamics [Canada Research Chair Profile]
NSERC/Toyota/Maplesoft Industrial Research Chair in Mathematics-Based Modelling and Design [NSERC Profile]
[Waterloo Stories] February 20, 2019 "Engineering innovation for wheelchair curlers"
[Waterloo Stories] August 5, 2016 "Rio Olympics 2016: Engineering speed for the Canadian track cycling team"
[Waterloo Stories] June 17, 2015 "Waterloo’s $10M dream facility for smarter, greener cars"
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
- mHealth and wearable technology design
- Ubiquitous sensors for smart homes and remote patient monitoring
- Big data and health data analytics
- Technology to support longer independent living
[MaRS] April 26, 2018 "UbiLab team wins Healthy Behaviour Data Challenge"
Biological fluid dynamics, fluid/structure interaction, vortex dynamics, diagnostic methods
Cardiovascular and mechanical blood flow models
Human phonation, vocal fold modeling
Stent modeling and design
[CBB researcher story] January 8, 2013 "The Ability to be Heard Above the Crowd"
Protein and DNA separation analysis towards disease diagnosis and drug discovery
Biosensing and Devices (bacterial, proteins, fluorescence)
Living cell analysis and water toxicity testing
Lab-on-a-Chip technology (point-of-care biomedical diagnosis , chemical detection, protein separation and identification, environmental testing)
Micro-scale fluid mechanics, droplet microfluidics and nanofluidics
- High Throughput Screening For Drug Screening
- Manufacturing Nanomaterials and Carbon Management
Canada Research Chair in Lab-on-a-Chip Technology [Canada Research Chair Profile]
[Waterloo Stories] June 14, 2012 "Creating the tiny future of science"
- Virtual Reality
- Wearables Devices
- Computer Human Interaction, haptics, design
- Data Science
- Mental Health
- Nutritional Science
[YouTube] October 11, 2018 "DualPanto: A Haptic Device that Enables Blind Users to Continuously Interact with Virtual Worlds"
- Satellite Campus, UW-Schlegel Research Institute for Aging, Research Building, Sensors and Devices Lab
- Bio-wearable electronics and systems
- Bio-electromagnetics, bio-technology, bio-sensors and energy harvesting systems
- RF/microwave/millimeter wave/Terahertz (THz) circuits and antenna systems
- Radio frequency (RF)/microwave packaging and Electromagnetic compatibility
- (EMC)/Electromagnetic interface (EMI) analyses
- Vehicle and UAV wireless communications, navigation systems, and telematics systems
- Complex propagation and scattering phenomena
- Devices and novel electromagnetic materials and wireless sensors
- Top downloaded paper in Medical Physics (arXiv) – October 2019
- Best Imaging Paper, CVS, 2018
- ACM MobileHCI 2017 Best Worskshop Paper Award
- IEEE APS 2017 SPC Honorable Mention Paper Award
- IEEE Sensors Most Popular Article (March 2017)
- IEEE Sensors Annual Volume Cover Page
[CBB Events] November 15, 2019 "Professor Shaker organizes a Health Canada Regulatory insights Workshop"
[CNN] November 11, 2019 "Scientists develop sensor to save children and pets from hot car deaths"
[Waterloo News] October 29, 2019 "Advancing healthcare through innovative technology"
[Inside Digital Health] June 3, 2019 "Study: Radar Monitors Sleep with Accuracy Comparable to Current Standards"
[Waterloo News] June 28, 2018 "AI and radar technologies could help diabetics manage their disease"
[Engineering News] June 28, 2018 "Researchers developing a prick-free glucose monitor"
[RD Magazine] June 28, 2018 "AI and Radar Technologies Could Help Diabetics Manage Their Disease"
[Engineering News] July 5, 2016 "Waterloo wins big with tiny power device"
Rehabilitation engineering and assistive technologies (gerontology, Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, fall risk in stroke survivors, and rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury)
Biomedical signal analysis
[Waterloo Stories] July 8, 2014 "GPS technology may help detect Alzheimer’s disease earlier"
Nanodevices and carbon nanotube-based sensors for biomedical applications (early disease detection)
Microassembly and micromirror devices for genetic microarray reading and tissue imaging
Canada Research Chair in Micro and NanoDevices [Canada Research Chair Profile]