Assistive Robotics and Rehabilitation Engineering
- Neuromechanical Modeling; Robot-Based System ID
- Human-Robot Interaction and Neural Control
- Movement Analysis and Sensorimotor Deficit Modeling
- Smart Implants and Prosthetics
- Intelligent Systems and Machine Learning
Clinical problem solving, reasoning, and decision making
Cognitive methodologies for the analysis of human computer interaction, knowledge acquisition, and medical expertise
Cognitive aspects of computerized clinical practice guidelines
- Intelligent technology
- Ambient assisted living
- Zero-effort technology
- Aging, health, and wellbeing
- Assistive Technology
- Imaging for Type 1 Diabetes
- Alzheimer Diagnosis
- Imaging of the Rear of the Eye
- Optical Properties of the Eye amd changes in the Eye's Optical Properties
- Two Photon Therapies
- Ophthalmic instrumentation, optical systems, quality and design
Confocal microscopy and ophthalmoscopy, measurement of refractive error
Retinal image quality
Optical effects of refractive surgery, reflections from the retina
Optical properties of the eye, monochromatic aberrations of the eye
Refractive properties of the crystalline lens and their changes with growth and accommodation
Eye-imaging systems for treatment and diagnosis
Biophysics, bio-photonics, and Vision Science.
[Research2Reality] May 8, 2015 "Early Alzheimer's Diagnosis: Imaging the Living Eye"
[YouTube Lecture] October 1, 2014 "Optics of the Eye as a Window on the Brain"
[YouTube] February 12, 2013 "Melanie Campbell AAAS Profile"
[Waterloo Stories] February 12, 2013 "An early test for Alzhemer's disease"
[Waterloo Stories] January 22, 2013 "Early test for Alzheimer's may rely on the eyes"
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
- Health informatics
Translational research in healthcare and medicine
- Health system integration
- Semantic interoperability
- Healthcare decision making and decision support
- Health data analytics
- Medical imaging informatics
- Patient safety
- Mobile health
- Wearable devices
[Waterloo Stories] July 10, 2017 "Waterloo software improves care for kidney patients"
[CBB researcher story] July 21, 2015 "Data management in Health Care"
- Sociology of Health
- Social Determinants of Health
- Comparative Health Care Systems
- Illness and Society
- Economics of public health, health policy, international health
- Economic aspects of health and nutrition, internationally cost-effectiveness, cost, and prioritization of interventions
- Expertise in micronutrients, undernutrition, the double-burden of nutrition and other interventions
- Cost-effectiveness of walk-in counselling services in Ontario
CIGI Chair in Global Health Economics [CIGI Profile]
[AHS News] March 15,2018 "Part of international team examining medical testing in resource-limited countries"
- Improving nutrition and health in hospitals, long term care and the community
[Grand River Hospital News] March 15, 2019 "Good food, better healing: How GRH is studying to improve food for patients in hospital"
[Waterloo News] March 23, 2017 "Survey will reduce rates of malnutrition in hospitals"
- Human computation (crowdsourcing)
- Human-in-the-loop intelligent systems
- Online communities and citizen science
- Large-scale collaborative planning systems
- Interaction techniques and incentive mechanisms for volunteer-based human computation systems within Science and Public Health.
[Computer Science News] May 1, 2015 "CIHR-NSERC grant awarded to CS professor"
Information management - financial and healthcare (data standards, security and privacy of health information, data quality, performance management issues)
Systems to support decision-making
Design and use of health information systems
Cost and performance measurement of health services
- Neurobiological embedding of adversity
- Biological characteristics that influence outcome from brain injury
- Drug development, biomarkers
- Stroke; biological characteristics that influence outcomes from brain injury
- mHealth and wearable technology design
- Ubiquitous sensors for smart homes and remote patient monitoring
- Big data and health data analytics
- Technology to support longer independent living
[MaRS] April 26, 2018 "UbiLab team wins Healthy Behaviour Data Challenge"
- Bio-wearable electronics and systems
- Bio-electromagnetics, bio-technology, bio-sensors and energy harvesting systems
- RF/microwave/millimeter wave/Terahertz (THz) circuits and antenna systems
- Radio frequency (RF)/microwave packaging and Electromagnetic compatibility
- (EMC)/Electromagnetic interface (EMI) analyses
- Vehicle and UAV wireless communications, navigation systems, and telematics systems
- Complex propagation and scattering phenomena
- Devices and novel electromagnetic materials and wireless sensors
[Waterloo News] June 28, 2018 "AI and radar technologies could help diabetics manage their disease"
[Engineering News] June 28, 2018 "Researchers developing a prick-free glucose monitor"
[RD Magazine] June 28, 2018 "AI and Radar Technologies Could Help Diabetics Manage Their Disease"
[Engineering News] July 5, 2016 "Waterloo wins big with tiny power device"
Health informatics, aging, geriatrics, rehabilitation, long-term care, home care
Health information systems and databases; data mining techniques and advanced statistical methods to support better decision-making in rehabilitation practice and policy-making
Health outcome measurement, better use of information systems in the rehabilitation of older persons and the integration and use of knowledge and information in practice
[Daily Bulletin] June 1, 2018, 11 CBB Members Named Outstanding Performance Award Winners
[Waterloo News] June 9, 2017 "Researchers will transform health-care services for persons living with frailty"