Assistive Robotics and Rehabilitation Engineering
- Neuromechanical Modeling; Robot-Based System ID
- Human-Robot Interaction and Neural Control
- Movement Analysis and Sensorimotor Deficit Modeling
- Smart Implants and Prosthetics
- Intelligent Systems and Machine Learning
Clinical problem solving, reasoning, and decision making
Cognitive methodologies for the analysis of human computer interaction, knowledge acquisition, and medical expertise
Cognitive aspects of computerized clinical practice guidelines
- Multisensory integration
- Perception and action
- The vestibular system
- Virtual reality
[Waterloo News] September 25, 2018 "Virtual reality motion sickness may be predicted and counteracted"
[ScienceDaily] December 15, 2018 "Aging warps our perception of time, study finds"
[Record] October 12, 2017 "Aging slows perception of falls: UW study"
- Ecological Interface Design
- Cognitive Work Analysis
- Graphical interface design and visualization
- Healthcare systems and clinical diagnostic systems
[Office of Research] May 22, 2018, CBB Executive Director reappointed for third term
[YouTube] February 5, 2010 "Research Profile: Catherine Burns"
Human factors and cognitive ergonomics (driving, healthcare, aerospace
Human performance and mental workload modeling, cognitive modeling
Human-computer interaction, interface evaluation and design
Controlled experiments, discrete event simulation, computational modeling
Perception, decision making, skill learning, fatigue
Wearable devices, environment-aware devices
Orthopaedic biomechanics (ACL, knee mechanics)
Biomedical device design
- Fundamental shoulder function and dysfunction
- Creation and validation of mathematical models to predict shoulder demands
- Applications of shoulder biomechanics to workplace injury prevention
- Rehabilitative and preventative strategies for ensuring shoulder health
- Digital human modeling, Computational musculoskeletal modeling
- Motion Capture
- Upper limb biomechanics
Canada Research Chair in Shoulder Mechanics [Canada Research Chair Profile]
[Waterloo News] February 19, 2019 "How to make the push-up work for you"
[Waterloo Stories] October 7, 2013 "Reducing shoulder injuries in the workplace"
- Sociology of Health
- Social Determinants of Health
- Comparative Health Care Systems
- Illness and Society
Discovering biomechanical determinants of occupational performance
Advancing functional capacity evaluation
Advancing digital human modeling
Inform better, safer products
[Waterloo Stories] August 31, 2020 "Pandemic isolation increases acceptance of robot companions"
[Waterloo Chronicle] August 31, 2020 "People are now willing to accept social robots as companions due to COVID-19 isolation: University of Waterloo study"
[Cheriton School of Computer Science News] August 29, 2019 "Moojan Ghafurian, Kerstin Dautenhahn and Jesse Hoey awarded funding to develop emotionally intelligent robots to help people with dementia"
[ACM Technews] May 21, 2019 "Making AI More Human"
[Semiconductor Engineering] May 28, 2019 "Crocheted robots; humanizing AI agents; training autonomous control systems"
[Cheriton School of Computer Science News] May 21, 2019 "Moojan Ghafurian, Neil Budnarain and Jesse Hoey make AI more human"
[Therapy Toronto News] October 22, 2018 "Study suggests faster countdowns may make people more patient"
[Education News Canada] May 22, 2019 "Making AI more human is key to widespread acceptance"
- Classical and visual optics
- Optical system design, science and engineering
- Psychophysics/human factors
- Visual perception, visual optics math modelling
- Biomedical image processing
[CBB researcher story] July 29, 2015 "Image processing to automate early glaucoma diagnosis"
- Neuroscience and neurological disorders
- Balance, gait, exercise
- Understanding how the brain and other parts of the central nervous system control movements of the body
- Using advanced measurements systems to improve recovery time after a neurological injury (such as a stroke) and minimize age-related effects on movement control (such as reducing the risk of falling).
- Electroencephalography and electromyography
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation, magnetic resonance imaging, peripheral nerve stimulation
- Galvanic skin measurement
- Eye-tracker, motion analysis, and kinetic measurement
[Waterloo News] August 19, 2015 "Wearable technologies will improve stroke rehabilitation"
[Waterloo Stories] February 4, 2014 "Finding your way after a stroke"
- design and control of spinal exoskeletons for he prevention of back pain
- development of assistive robotic devices to increase mobility of older person
- design studies of lower limb exoskeletons
- mHealth and wearable technology design
- Ubiquitous sensors for smart homes and remote patient monitoring
- Big data and health data analytics
- Technology to support longer independent living
[MaRS] April 26, 2018 "UbiLab team wins Healthy Behaviour Data Challenge"
- Simulation & Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality
- Novice And Older Driver Training
- Predictive & Conceptual Modeling Of Behavior
- Eye Tracking
- Attention & Cognition
- Decision Making
- Automotive Human Factors
- Autonomous Vehicles And Connected Vehicles & Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Caregiver Behaviors & Errors
- Assistive & Automotive Interfaces
- Vulnerable Road User Safety (Pedestrians & Bicyclists)
- Motorcyclist Safety
- Special Populations (ADHD & Dementia)
- Traffic Control Devices & Roadway Infrastructure Design
- Virtual Reality
- Wearables Devices
- Computer Human Interaction, haptics, design
- Data Science
- Mental Health
- Nutritional Science
[YouTube] October 11, 2018 "DualPanto: A Haptic Device that Enables Blind Users to Continuously Interact with Virtual Worlds"