Assistive Robotics and Rehabilitation Engineering
- Neuromechanical Modeling; Robot-Based System ID
- Human-Robot Interaction and Neural Control
- Movement Analysis and Sensorimotor Deficit Modeling
- Smart Implants and Prosthetics
- Intelligent Systems and Machine Learning
- Multisensory integration
- Perception and action
- The vestibular system
- Virtual reality
[Waterloo News] September 25, 2018 "Virtual reality motion sickness may be predicted and counteracted"
[ScienceDaily] December 15, 2018 "Aging warps our perception of time, study finds"
[Record] October 12, 2017 "Aging slows perception of falls: UW study"
Cooperative systems and sensor networks (multi-agent, multi-sensor systems)
- Nonlinear, adaptive, and switched dynamical systems; robust adaptive control; nonlinear and adaptive control designs for mechatronic systems
Control applications (high performance flight and vehicle stability control, biomedical)
Robotics and intelligent systems (multi-agent, motion planning, vision control, biomedical and assistive robotics)
[Waterloo Stories] August 31, 2020 "Pandemic isolation increases acceptance of robot companions"
[Waterloo Chronicle] August 31, 2020 "People are now willing to accept social robots as companions due to COVID-19 isolation: University of Waterloo study"
[Cheriton School of Computer Science News] August 29, 2019 "Moojan Ghafurian, Kerstin Dautenhahn and Jesse Hoey awarded funding to develop emotionally intelligent robots to help people with dementia"
[ACM Technews] May 21, 2019 "Making AI More Human"
[Semiconductor Engineering] May 28, 2019 "Crocheted robots; humanizing AI agents; training autonomous control systems"
[Cheriton School of Computer Science News] May 21, 2019 "Moojan Ghafurian, Neil Budnarain and Jesse Hoey make AI more human"
[Therapy Toronto News] October 22, 2018 "Study suggests faster countdowns may make people more patient"
[Education News Canada] May 22, 2019 "Making AI more human is key to widespread acceptance"
- Control system development for Driver Assistance Systems
- Fault-tolerant state estimation for biped robots
- Distributed Estimation
- Control Theory
- Multibody Dynamics
- Biomedical systems & biomechatronics - rehabilitation, assistive devices, intelligent design of prostheses and orthoses, 3D body surface measurement
- Optomechatronics - computer vision (2D and 3D), range-image registration, range-sensing, range-sensor design, vision-based 3D surface measurement systems, optical system design, laser-camera range, sensor design, phase-shifting / fringe-projection 3D surface measurement systems, real-time full-field 3D imaging sensors / real-time full-field 3D surface measurement systems, hand-held 3D imaging sensors / hand-held 3D surface measurement systems, vision-based robot control, vision-based human-robot interfaces
- Robotics - robot teleoperation, robot vision, human-robot interfaces, human-robot interaction, human-guided robot learning, vision-based robot control (visual servoing), human-assistive/service robots
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
Robotics, robot learning
Human motion analysis (sports training, rehabilitation)
[Waterloo News] May 18, 2017 "Technology aims to improve physiotherapy outcomes using sensors and machine learning"
[CBB researcher story] January 9, 2013 "An Improved Road to Recovery"
Biomechanics engineering (injury rehabilitation, assistive devices for elderly, athletes, disabled)
Mechatronic and robotic systems
Multibody system dynamics
Computational methods for analysis and design
Advanced vehicle systems
Canada Research Chair in Biomechatronic System Dynamics [Canada Research Chair Profile]
NSERC/Toyota/Maplesoft Industrial Research Chair in Mathematics-Based Modelling and Design [NSERC Profile]
[Waterloo Stories] February 20, 2019 "Engineering innovation for wheelchair curlers"
[Waterloo Stories] August 5, 2016 "Rio Olympics 2016: Engineering speed for the Canadian track cycling team"
[Waterloo Stories] June 17, 2015 "Waterloo’s $10M dream facility for smarter, greener cars"
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
- design and control of spinal exoskeletons for he prevention of back pain
- development of assistive robotic devices to increase mobility of older person
- design studies of lower limb exoskeletons
- Simulation & Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality
- Novice And Older Driver Training
- Predictive & Conceptual Modeling Of Behavior
- Eye Tracking
- Attention & Cognition
- Decision Making
- Automotive Human Factors
- Autonomous Vehicles And Connected Vehicles & Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Caregiver Behaviors & Errors
- Assistive & Automotive Interfaces
- Vulnerable Road User Safety (Pedestrians & Bicyclists)
- Motorcyclist Safety
- Special Populations (ADHD & Dementia)
- Traffic Control Devices & Roadway Infrastructure Design
- Virtual Reality
- Wearables Devices
- Computer Human Interaction, haptics, design
- Data Science
- Mental Health
- Nutritional Science
[YouTube] October 11, 2018 "DualPanto: A Haptic Device that Enables Blind Users to Continuously Interact with Virtual Worlds"
- Satellite Campus, UW-Schlegel Research Institute for Aging, Research Building, Sensors and Devices Lab
- Bio-wearable electronics and systems
- Bio-electromagnetics, bio-technology, bio-sensors and energy harvesting systems
- RF/microwave/millimeter wave/Terahertz (THz) circuits and antenna systems
- Radio frequency (RF)/microwave packaging and Electromagnetic compatibility
- (EMC)/Electromagnetic interface (EMI) analyses
- Vehicle and UAV wireless communications, navigation systems, and telematics systems
- Complex propagation and scattering phenomena
- Devices and novel electromagnetic materials and wireless sensors
- Top downloaded paper in Medical Physics (arXiv) – October 2019
- Best Imaging Paper, CVS, 2018
- ACM MobileHCI 2017 Best Worskshop Paper Award
- IEEE APS 2017 SPC Honorable Mention Paper Award
- IEEE Sensors Most Popular Article (March 2017)
- IEEE Sensors Annual Volume Cover Page
[CBB Events] November 15, 2019 "Professor Shaker organizes a Health Canada Regulatory insights Workshop"
[CNN] November 11, 2019 "Scientists develop sensor to save children and pets from hot car deaths"
[Waterloo News] October 29, 2019 "Advancing healthcare through innovative technology"
[Inside Digital Health] June 3, 2019 "Study: Radar Monitors Sleep with Accuracy Comparable to Current Standards"
[Waterloo News] June 28, 2018 "AI and radar technologies could help diabetics manage their disease"
[Engineering News] June 28, 2018 "Researchers developing a prick-free glucose monitor"
[RD Magazine] June 28, 2018 "AI and Radar Technologies Could Help Diabetics Manage Their Disease"
[Engineering News] July 5, 2016 "Waterloo wins big with tiny power device"
Nanodevices and carbon nanotube-based sensors for biomedical applications (early disease detection)
Microassembly and micromirror devices for genetic microarray reading and tissue imaging
Canada Research Chair in Micro and NanoDevices [Canada Research Chair Profile]