- Simulation, light and matter interactions, biomedical applications
- Predictive simulation of light interactions with organic and inorganic materials
- Realistic modeling of material appearance for image synthesis
- Remote sensing (effects of adverse environmental conditions on crops and forests)
- Biomedical optics (development of procedures and equipment for the prevention and treatment of different medical conditions, from jaundice to skin cancer)
Nano-Biomedical engineering, biochemistry, molecular cell biology
Colloid and Surface Science (surface chemistry, absorption kinetics, thermodynamics)
Polymer materials, CO2
Energy storage and conversion, battery systems and alternative energy
Drug and gene delivery, genomics
Lipid bilayer and cell membrane actions
University Research Chair
- Mathematical modeling - Stochastic Modeling and Optimization, Markov Decision Processes, Partially Observable Markov Decision Processes, Dynamic Programming, Simulation Models.
- Health Care: Medical Decision Making, Organ Transplantation, Cancer Screening, Health Care Delivery.
- Production Planning: Multicriteria Scheduling
Point-of-care diagnostic systems and monitoring (healthcare, wearable technology, sensors and devices)
Biosensors - Protein sensor for Heat shock protein 70 (HSP70) and point-of-care medical diagnostics (biomarkers)
Hybrid and electric vehicles (lithium ion batteries, power management, energy storage, sensors)
Micro-electromechanical systems/nano-electromechanical systems (MEMS/NEMS) for harsh environments (automotive, aerospace, turbomachinery, oil-well/logging, nuclear power, communications)
MEMS/NEMS, nanomaterials, biosensors, devices, biomanipulators, biosystems, packaging, microassembly
Micropower generation, microfabrication, self-contained integrated microsystems
[Waterloo Stories] July 5, 2012 "A tiny machine to predict heart attacks"
[Waterloo Engineering] April, 2015 "Tiny technology to prevent the risk of skipping a beat or worse"
- Flexible, wearable energy storage and sensing technologies
- Graphene production and post-processing techniques
- Directed assembly of 2D nanomaterials at the air-water interface
- Bottom-up assembly approaches for energy storage, sensing and electrocatalysis
- Next generation batteries
- Electrochemical sensors
- Thin films and membranes
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
Protein and DNA separation analysis towards disease diagnosis and drug discovery
Biosensing and Devices (bacterial, proteins, fluorescence)
Living cell analysis and water toxicity testing
Lab-on-a-Chip technology (point-of-care biomedical diagnosis , chemical detection, protein separation and identification, environmental testing)
Micro-scale fluid mechanics, droplet microfluidics and nanofluidics
- High Throughput Screening For Drug Screening
- Manufacturing Nanomaterials and Carbon Management
Canada Research Chair in Lab-on-a-Chip Technology [Canada Research Chair Profile]
[Waterloo Stories] June 14, 2012 "Creating the tiny future of science"
- Simulation & Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality
- Novice And Older Driver Training
- Predictive & Conceptual Modeling Of Behavior
- Eye Tracking
- Attention & Cognition
- Decision Making
- Automotive Human Factors
- Autonomous Vehicles And Connected Vehicles & Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Caregiver Behaviors & Errors
- Assistive & Automotive Interfaces
- Vulnerable Road User Safety (Pedestrians & Bicyclists)
- Motorcyclist Safety
- Special Populations (ADHD & Dementia)
- Traffic Control Devices & Roadway Infrastructure Design
- Experimental biological physics
- Stochastic processes in physics and biology
- Pysiological constraints on bioproduct synthesis
Lab Equipment: Imagestream MkII with 488nm, 642nm and 785nm lasers; 60x magnification
[YouTube Lectures] Winter School on Quantitative Systems Biology 2015
- Satellite Campus, UW-Schlegel Research Institute for Aging, Research Building, Sensors and Devices Lab
- Bio-wearable electronics and systems
- Bio-electromagnetics, bio-technology, bio-sensors and energy harvesting systems
- RF/microwave/millimeter wave/Terahertz (THz) circuits and antenna systems
- Radio frequency (RF)/microwave packaging and Electromagnetic compatibility
- (EMC)/Electromagnetic interface (EMI) analyses
- Vehicle and UAV wireless communications, navigation systems, and telematics systems
- Complex propagation and scattering phenomena
- Devices and novel electromagnetic materials and wireless sensors
- Top downloaded paper in Medical Physics (arXiv) – October 2019
- Best Imaging Paper, CVS, 2018
- ACM MobileHCI 2017 Best Worskshop Paper Award
- IEEE APS 2017 SPC Honorable Mention Paper Award
- IEEE Sensors Most Popular Article (March 2017)
- IEEE Sensors Annual Volume Cover Page
[CBB Events] November 15, 2019 "Professor Shaker organizes a Health Canada Regulatory insights Workshop"
[CNN] November 11, 2019 "Scientists develop sensor to save children and pets from hot car deaths"
[Waterloo News] October 29, 2019 "Advancing healthcare through innovative technology"
[Inside Digital Health] June 3, 2019 "Study: Radar Monitors Sleep with Accuracy Comparable to Current Standards"
[Waterloo News] June 28, 2018 "AI and radar technologies could help diabetics manage their disease"
[Engineering News] June 28, 2018 "Researchers developing a prick-free glucose monitor"
[RD Magazine] June 28, 2018 "AI and Radar Technologies Could Help Diabetics Manage Their Disease"
[Engineering News] July 5, 2016 "Waterloo wins big with tiny power device"
Biopharmaceuticals (therapeutics, treatment of autoimmune diseases, prevent rejection of organ transplants)
Industrial biomanufacturing and biotechnology (fermentation, food ingredients, enzymes, biofuels)
Environmental management (bioremediation of carcinogenic environmental pollutants, filtration, chromatography)
The Royal Society of Canada Fellow
[YouTube Lecture] September 29, 2014 "Biofuels and Waste Treatment"
[YouTube Lecture] September 19, 2013 "Industrial Biotechnology: Current developments and trends"
[UW Eng-e-news] August 14, 2013 "Engineering Life-enhancing research"
[Waterloo Stories] May 3, 2013 "Can bacteria help create a cheaper fuel for our cars?"
[CBB researcher story] December 6, 2012 "Bringing Bioengineering and Biotechnology to its Fullest Potential"