- Identifying mechanisms linking physical exposures with knee osteoarthritis
- Global aim of preventing exposure-related musculoskeletal disorders
Assistive Robotics and Rehabilitation Engineering
- Neuromechanical Modeling; Robot-Based System ID
- Human-Robot Interaction and Neural Control
- Movement Analysis and Sensorimotor Deficit Modeling
- Smart Implants and Prosthetics
- Intelligent Systems and Machine Learning
- Developing human ultrasound applications to understand more about complex blood flow in arterial bifurcations and venous valves
- Recommending exercise strategies that target cardiovascular dysfunction associated with physical inactivity, looking specifically at 'high-risk' vascular areas
- Developing new uses of ultrasound to diagnose pro-atherogenic blood flow patterns
- Multisensory integration
- Perception and action
- The vestibular system
- Virtual reality
[Waterloo News] September 25, 2018 "Virtual reality motion sickness may be predicted and counteracted"
[ScienceDaily] December 15, 2018 "Aging warps our perception of time, study finds"
[Record] October 12, 2017 "Aging slows perception of falls: UW study"
- Fundamental shoulder function and dysfunction
- Creation and validation of mathematical models to predict shoulder demands
- Applications of shoulder biomechanics to workplace injury prevention
- Rehabilitative and preventative strategies for ensuring shoulder health
- Digital human modeling, Computational musculoskeletal modeling
- Motion Capture
- Upper limb biomechanics
Canada Research Chair in Shoulder Mechanics [Canada Research Chair Profile]
[Waterloo News] February 19, 2019 "How to make the push-up work for you"
[Waterloo Stories] October 7, 2013 "Reducing shoulder injuries in the workplace"
Discovering biomechanical determinants of occupational performance
Advancing functional capacity evaluation
Advancing digital human modeling
Inform better, safer products
Osteoporosis, fracture risk assessment algorithms, exercise interventions for reducing fracture risk in high risk individuals.
Bone health and body composition in individuals with neurological impairment due to spinal cord injury (SCI).
Medical imaging analysis to explore bone and muscle responses to activity or neurologic impairment, and evaluate new methods for image analysis.
Rehabilitation and quality indicators, and in long term care
- Control system development for Driver Assistance Systems
- Fault-tolerant state estimation for biped robots
- Distributed Estimation
- Control Theory
- Multibody Dynamics
- Musculoskeletal biomechanics related to human health and injury prevention, and the role that advanced age has on these relationships.
- Fall-related tissue trauma including hip fractures, spinal cord injuries, and traumatic brain injuries
- Workplace musculoskeletal disorders (WMSD)
- Orthopedic biomechanics
[YouTube] Andrew Laing, Department of Kinesiology, UW
- Neuroscience and neurological disorders
- Balance, gait, exercise
- Understanding how the brain and other parts of the central nervous system control movements of the body
- Using advanced measurements systems to improve recovery time after a neurological injury (such as a stroke) and minimize age-related effects on movement control (such as reducing the risk of falling).
- Electroencephalography and electromyography
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation, magnetic resonance imaging, peripheral nerve stimulation
- Galvanic skin measurement
- Eye-tracker, motion analysis, and kinetic measurement
[Waterloo News] August 19, 2015 "Wearable technologies will improve stroke rehabilitation"
[Waterloo Stories] February 4, 2014 "Finding your way after a stroke"
Biomechanics engineering (injury rehabilitation, assistive devices for elderly, athletes, disabled)
Mechatronic and robotic systems
Multibody system dynamics
Computational methods for analysis and design
Advanced vehicle systems
Canada Research Chair in Biomechatronic System Dynamics [Canada Research Chair Profile]
NSERC/Toyota/Maplesoft Industrial Research Chair in Mathematics-Based Modelling and Design [NSERC Profile]
[Waterloo Stories] February 20, 2019 "Engineering innovation for wheelchair curlers"
[Waterloo Stories] August 5, 2016 "Rio Olympics 2016: Engineering speed for the Canadian track cycling team"
[Waterloo Stories] June 17, 2015 "Waterloo’s $10M dream facility for smarter, greener cars"
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
- design and control of spinal exoskeletons for he prevention of back pain
- development of assistive robotic devices to increase mobility of older person
- design studies of lower limb exoskeletons
[National Centre for Biotechnology Information] August 31, 2019 "Key factors for the assessment of mobility in advanced dementia: A consensus approach"
[Ontario Neurodegenerative Disease Research Initiative] September 26, 2019 "Wearable technologies to improve health outcomes in people with neurodegenerative diseases?"
- Simulation & Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality
- Novice And Older Driver Training
- Predictive & Conceptual Modeling Of Behavior
- Eye Tracking
- Attention & Cognition
- Decision Making
- Automotive Human Factors
- Autonomous Vehicles And Connected Vehicles & Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Caregiver Behaviors & Errors
- Assistive & Automotive Interfaces
- Vulnerable Road User Safety (Pedestrians & Bicyclists)
- Motorcyclist Safety
- Special Populations (ADHD & Dementia)
- Traffic Control Devices & Roadway Infrastructure Design
- Virtual Reality
- Wearables Devices
- Computer Human Interaction, haptics, design
- Data Science
- Mental Health
- Nutritional Science
[YouTube] October 11, 2018 "DualPanto: A Haptic Device that Enables Blind Users to Continuously Interact with Virtual Worlds"
Rehabilitation engineering and assistive technologies (gerontology, Osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s disease, fall risk in stroke survivors, and rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury)
Biomedical signal analysis
[Waterloo Stories] July 8, 2014 "GPS technology may help detect Alzheimer’s disease earlier"
Biomaterials and mechanics of biomaterials and tissues
Bone quality and fragility, collagen
Engineering of bone mimetic materials for skeletal reconstruction (3D printing)