- Multisensory integration
- Perception and action
- The vestibular system
- Virtual reality
[Waterloo News] September 25, 2018 "Virtual reality motion sickness may be predicted and counteracted"
[ScienceDaily] December 15, 2018 "Aging warps our perception of time, study finds"
[Record] October 12, 2017 "Aging slows perception of falls: UW study"
- Solid-state electron and nuclear spin based implementations for quantum information processing (QIP)
- Spin qubits in quantum dots
- Low temperature quantum transport
- Nanowires and novel materials
- Coherent control of quantum systems
- Electron and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopies
Infrared imaging technology
[Waterloo Stories] September 29, 2013 "Waterloo researcher loves the hands-on side of quantum science"
- Imaging for Type 1 Diabetes
- Alzheimer Diagnosis
- Imaging of the Rear of the Eye
- Optical Properties of the Eye amd changes in the Eye's Optical Properties
- Two Photon Therapies
- Ophthalmic instrumentation, optical systems, quality and design
Confocal microscopy and ophthalmoscopy, measurement of refractive error
Retinal image quality
Optical effects of refractive surgery, reflections from the retina
Optical properties of the eye, monochromatic aberrations of the eye
Refractive properties of the crystalline lens and their changes with growth and accommodation
Eye-imaging systems for treatment and diagnosis
Biophysics, bio-photonics, and Vision Science.
[Research2Reality] May 8, 2015 "Early Alzheimer's Diagnosis: Imaging the Living Eye"
[YouTube Lecture] October 1, 2014 "Optics of the Eye as a Window on the Brain"
[YouTube] February 12, 2013 "Melanie Campbell AAAS Profile"
[Waterloo Stories] February 12, 2013 "An early test for Alzhemer's disease"
[Waterloo Stories] January 22, 2013 "Early test for Alzheimer's may rely on the eyes"
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
Theoretical molecular biophysics and soft matter (chromosomes, polymers, electrostatics)
Polymer physics for chromosome organization in a cell
Confined polymers (chain topology, spatial organization, and dynamics)
Electrostatic modification of lipid membranes
Physical basis for cell selectivity of antimicrobial peptides
Polyelectrolytes and polyampholytes
- Classical and visual optics
- Optical system design, science and engineering
- Psychophysics/human factors
- Visual perception, visual optics math modelling
- Biomedical image processing
[CBB researcher story] July 29, 2015 "Image processing to automate early glaucoma diagnosis"
Biophysics of lipids and lipid-protein interactions
The role of structural changes and physical properties of lipid template in controlling biological processes and diseases
Biomedical nanotechnology (lipid films, molecular mechanism of Alzheimer's disease)
Drug development and delivery systems, antimicrobial peptides in lung disorders
Fluorescence and atomic force microscopy
Kelvin probe force microscopy and single molecule force spectroscopy
[Global Impact] May 2018, studying Alzheimer's at a molecular level to find a cure
[YouTube Lecture] October 1, 2014 "Scanning probe microscopy in biomedical research"
- Design of mixed analog/digital circuits for wireless communication
- Phase noise of oscillator, mixer noise and mixer distortion analysis
- Microfluidics and nanofluidics
- Lab-on-a-chip, diagnostic devices (biomedical, environmental, food safety)
- Interfacial Phenomena
- Medical device and diagnostic development for hearing and hearing loss
- Audiology and Otolaryngology
- Acoustic, Vibration, physiological and cadaveric measurements, animal models
- Aging, Biomechanics
Biopharmaceuticals (therapeutics, treatment of autoimmune diseases, prevent rejection of organ transplants)
Industrial biomanufacturing and biotechnology (fermentation, food ingredients, enzymes, biofuels)
Environmental management (bioremediation of carcinogenic environmental pollutants, filtration, chromatography)
The Royal Society of Canada Fellow
[YouTube Lecture] September 29, 2014 "Biofuels and Waste Treatment"
[YouTube Lecture] September 19, 2013 "Industrial Biotechnology: Current developments and trends"
[UW Eng-e-news] August 14, 2013 "Engineering Life-enhancing research"
[Waterloo Stories] May 3, 2013 "Can bacteria help create a cheaper fuel for our cars?"
[CBB researcher story] December 6, 2012 "Bringing Bioengineering and Biotechnology to its Fullest Potential"
- Simulation & Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality
- Novice And Older Driver Training
- Predictive & Conceptual Modeling Of Behavior
- Eye Tracking
- Attention & Cognition
- Decision Making
- Automotive Human Factors
- Autonomous Vehicles And Connected Vehicles & Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Caregiver Behaviors & Errors
- Assistive & Automotive Interfaces
- Vulnerable Road User Safety (Pedestrians & Bicyclists)
- Motorcyclist Safety
- Special Populations (ADHD & Dementia)
- Traffic Control Devices & Roadway Infrastructure Design