Pathogen detection, disinfection and sterilization using UV light
Photochemistry, photocatalytic applications to water and air treatment
Metal nanoparticle synthesis and applications
Process modelling and simulation
- Clinical trial design
- Contact lens performance
- Drug delivery
- Ocular biomaterials
- Proteins at interfaces
University Research Chair
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
- Biochemical engineering
- Protein and biomimetic engineering
- Biosensor development
- Bioprocess monitoring and soft sensor development
- Protein thermodynamics stability and analysis
- Environmental bioremediation and green bioprocesses
- Biological water treatment and membrane-based processes
- Spectroscopic techniques combined with chemometric methods for process optimization and the development of on-line sensor technology
- Polymer Science and Engineering
- Renewable polymers: Processing and Chemical Modifications
- Polymer blends, composites and nanocomposites
Biopharmaceuticals (therapeutics, treatment of autoimmune diseases, prevent rejection of organ transplants)
Industrial biomanufacturing and biotechnology (fermentation, food ingredients, enzymes, biofuels)
Environmental management (bioremediation of carcinogenic environmental pollutants, filtration, chromatography)
The Royal Society of Canada Fellow
[YouTube Lecture] September 29, 2014 "Biofuels and Waste Treatment"
[YouTube Lecture] September 19, 2013 "Industrial Biotechnology: Current developments and trends"
[UW Eng-e-news] August 14, 2013 "Engineering Life-enhancing research"
[Waterloo Stories] May 3, 2013 "Can bacteria help create a cheaper fuel for our cars?"
[CBB researcher story] December 6, 2012 "Bringing Bioengineering and Biotechnology to its Fullest Potential"
- Bio-wearable electronics and systems
- Bio-electromagnetics, bio-technology, bio-sensors and energy harvesting systems
- RF/microwave/millimeter wave/Terahertz (THz) circuits and antenna systems
- Radio frequency (RF)/microwave packaging and Electromagnetic compatibility
- (EMC)/Electromagnetic interface (EMI) analyses
- Vehicle and UAV wireless communications, navigation systems, and telematics systems
- Complex propagation and scattering phenomena
- Devices and novel electromagnetic materials and wireless sensors
[Waterloo News] June 28, 2018 "AI and radar technologies could help diabetics manage their disease"
[Engineering News] June 28, 2018 "Researchers developing a prick-free glucose monitor"
[RD Magazine] June 28, 2018 "AI and Radar Technologies Could Help Diabetics Manage Their Disease"
[Engineering News] July 5, 2016 "Waterloo wins big with tiny power device"
- Environmental biology, industrial biotechnology, and therapeutics
- Production of sustainable chemicals
- Novel bioprocesses for applications in bioresource engineering and biorefining
- Microalgae, metabolic engineering, and ionic liquid based separations in biological systems