Pathogen detection, disinfection and sterilization using UV light
Photochemistry, photocatalytic applications to water and air treatment
Metal nanoparticle synthesis and applications
Process modelling and simulation
Discovering biomechanical determinants of occupational performance
Advancing functional capacity evaluation
Advancing digital human modeling
Inform better, safer products
- Clinical trial design
- Contact lens performance
- Drug delivery
- Ocular biomaterials
- Proteins at interfaces
University Research Chair
Office of Research - Technology Transfer & Commercialization:
- Design/discovery of potential therapeutics to target various diseases
- Understanding the structure and pharmacology of membrane proteins
- Development of in silico methods/tools for sequence, structure and functional analysis
- Inferring the structure-function evolution of proteins
- Protein engineering for biotechnology and pharmaceutical applications
[American Chemical Society] January 23, 2012 "Exploring Inhibitor Release Pathways in Histone Deacetylases Using Random Acceleration Molecular Dynamics Simulations"
[Wiley Online Library] July 27, 2013 "Ligand release mechanisms and channels in histone deacetylases"
[Royal Society of Chemistry] December 19, 2013 "A steered molecular dynamics mediated hit discovery for histone deacetylases"
[Nature Methods] May 8, 2017 "ModelFinder: fast model selection for accurate phylogenetic estimates"
[Royal Society of Chemistry] October 24, 2017 "Reverse engineering: transaminase biocatalyst development using ancestral sequence reconstruction"
- Biochemical engineering
- Protein and biomimetic engineering
- Biosensor development
- Bioprocess monitoring and soft sensor development
- Protein thermodynamics stability and analysis
- Environmental bioremediation and green bioprocesses
- Biological water treatment and membrane-based processes
- Spectroscopic techniques combined with chemometric methods for process optimization and the development of on-line sensor technology
- Polymer Science and Engineering
- Renewable polymers: Processing and Chemical Modifications
- Polymer blends, composites and nanocomposites
- Satellite Campus, UW-Schlegel Research Institute for Aging, Research Building, Sensors and Devices Lab
- Bio-wearable electronics and systems
- Bio-electromagnetics, bio-technology, bio-sensors and energy harvesting systems
- RF/microwave/millimeter wave/Terahertz (THz) circuits and antenna systems
- Radio frequency (RF)/microwave packaging and Electromagnetic compatibility
- (EMC)/Electromagnetic interface (EMI) analyses
- Vehicle and UAV wireless communications, navigation systems, and telematics systems
- Complex propagation and scattering phenomena
- Devices and novel electromagnetic materials and wireless sensors
- Top downloaded paper in Medical Physics (arXiv) – October 2019
- Best Imaging Paper, CVS, 2018
- ACM MobileHCI 2017 Best Worskshop Paper Award
- IEEE APS 2017 SPC Honorable Mention Paper Award
- IEEE Sensors Most Popular Article (March 2017)
- IEEE Sensors Annual Volume Cover Page
[CBB Events] November 15, 2019 "Professor Shaker organizes a Health Canada Regulatory insights Workshop"
[CNN] November 11, 2019 "Scientists develop sensor to save children and pets from hot car deaths"
[Waterloo News] October 29, 2019 "Advancing healthcare through innovative technology"
[Inside Digital Health] June 3, 2019 "Study: Radar Monitors Sleep with Accuracy Comparable to Current Standards"
[Waterloo News] June 28, 2018 "AI and radar technologies could help diabetics manage their disease"
[Engineering News] June 28, 2018 "Researchers developing a prick-free glucose monitor"
[RD Magazine] June 28, 2018 "AI and Radar Technologies Could Help Diabetics Manage Their Disease"
[Engineering News] July 5, 2016 "Waterloo wins big with tiny power device"
- Environmental biology, industrial biotechnology, and therapeutics
- Production of sustainable chemicals
- Novel bioprocesses for applications in bioresource engineering and biorefining
- Microalgae, metabolic engineering, and ionic liquid based separations in biological systems
Biopharmaceuticals (therapeutics, treatment of autoimmune diseases, prevent rejection of organ transplants)
Industrial biomanufacturing and biotechnology (fermentation, food ingredients, enzymes, biofuels)
Environmental management (bioremediation of carcinogenic environmental pollutants, filtration, chromatography)
The Royal Society of Canada Fellow
[YouTube Lecture] September 29, 2014 "Biofuels and Waste Treatment"
[YouTube Lecture] September 19, 2013 "Industrial Biotechnology: Current developments and trends"
[UW Eng-e-news] August 14, 2013 "Engineering Life-enhancing research"
[Waterloo Stories] May 3, 2013 "Can bacteria help create a cheaper fuel for our cars?"
[CBB researcher story] December 6, 2012 "Bringing Bioengineering and Biotechnology to its Fullest Potential"