Clinical problem solving, reasoning, and decision making
Cognitive methodologies for the analysis of human computer interaction, knowledge acquisition, and medical expertise
Cognitive aspects of computerized clinical practice guidelines
- Multisensory integration
- Perception and action
- The vestibular system
- Virtual reality
[Waterloo News] September 25, 2018 "Virtual reality motion sickness may be predicted and counteracted"
[ScienceDaily] December 15, 2018 "Aging warps our perception of time, study finds"
[Record] October 12, 2017 "Aging slows perception of falls: UW study"
- Health informatics
Translational research in healthcare and medicine
- Health system integration
- Semantic interoperability
- Healthcare decision making and decision support
- Health data analytics
- Medical imaging informatics
- Patient safety
- Mobile health
- Wearable devices
[Waterloo Stories] July 10, 2017 "Waterloo software improves care for kidney patients"
[CBB researcher story] July 21, 2015 "Data management in Health Care"
- Fundamental shoulder function and dysfunction
- Creation and validation of mathematical models to predict shoulder demands
- Applications of shoulder biomechanics to workplace injury prevention
- Rehabilitative and preventative strategies for ensuring shoulder health
- Digital human modeling, Computational musculoskeletal modeling
- Motion Capture
- Upper limb biomechanics
Canada Research Chair in Shoulder Mechanics [Canada Research Chair Profile]
[Waterloo News] February 19, 2019 "How to make the push-up work for you"
[Waterloo Stories] October 7, 2013 "Reducing shoulder injuries in the workplace"
Osteoporosis, fracture risk assessment algorithms, exercise interventions for reducing fracture risk in high risk individuals.
Bone health and body composition in individuals with neurological impairment due to spinal cord injury (SCI).
Medical imaging analysis to explore bone and muscle responses to activity or neurologic impairment, and evaluate new methods for image analysis.
Rehabilitation and quality indicators, and in long term care
- Economics of public health, health policy, international health
- Economic aspects of health and nutrition, internationally cost-effectiveness, cost, and prioritization of interventions
- Expertise in micronutrients, undernutrition, the double-burden of nutrition and other interventions
- Cost-effectiveness of walk-in counselling services in Ontario
CIGI Chair in Global Health Economics [CIGI Profile]
[AHS News] March 15,2018 "Part of international team examining medical testing in resource-limited countries"
- Vascular aging and brain health
- Space physiology research
- Cardiovascular adaptation to exercise
[Global Impact] April 2019 "A “Second Heart” to strengthen our golden years"
[Waterloo News] June 28, 2018 "AI and radar technologies could help diabetics manage their disease"
[Engineering News] June 28, 2018 "Researchers developing a prick-free glucose monitor"
[RD Magazine] June 28, 2018 "AI and Radar Technologies Could Help Diabetics Manage Their Disease"
[Waterloo Stories] April 19, 2016 "Waterloo science aboard the International Space Station"
[Waterloo Stories] October 8, 2013 "Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield joins University of Waterloo"
[Waterloo Stories] December 17, 2012 "Canadian astronaut takes Waterloo research into orbit"
- Improving nutrition and health in hospitals, long term care and the community
[Grand River Hospital News] March 15, 2019 "Good food, better healing: How GRH is studying to improve food for patients in hospital"
[Waterloo News] March 23, 2017 "Survey will reduce rates of malnutrition in hospitals"
- Musculoskeletal biomechanics related to human health and injury prevention, and the role that advanced age has on these relationships.
- Fall-related tissue trauma including hip fractures, spinal cord injuries, and traumatic brain injuries
- Workplace musculoskeletal disorders (WMSD)
- Orthopedic biomechanics
[YouTube] Andrew Laing, Department of Kinesiology, UW
- Neuroscience and neurological disorders
- Balance, gait, exercise
- Understanding how the brain and other parts of the central nervous system control movements of the body
- Using advanced measurements systems to improve recovery time after a neurological injury (such as a stroke) and minimize age-related effects on movement control (such as reducing the risk of falling).
- Electroencephalography and electromyography
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation, magnetic resonance imaging, peripheral nerve stimulation
- Galvanic skin measurement
- Eye-tracker, motion analysis, and kinetic measurement
[Waterloo News] August 19, 2015 "Wearable technologies will improve stroke rehabilitation"
[Waterloo Stories] February 4, 2014 "Finding your way after a stroke"
Information management - financial and healthcare (data standards, security and privacy of health information, data quality, performance management issues)
Systems to support decision-making
Design and use of health information systems
Cost and performance measurement of health services
- Neurobiological embedding of adversity
- Biological characteristics that influence outcome from brain injury
- Drug development, biomarkers
- Stroke; biological characteristics that influence outcomes from brain injury
- mHealth and wearable technology design
- Ubiquitous sensors for smart homes and remote patient monitoring
- Big data and health data analytics
- Technology to support longer independent living
[MaRS] April 26, 2018 "UbiLab team wins Healthy Behaviour Data Challenge"
Health informatics, aging, geriatrics, rehabilitation, long-term care, home care
Health information systems and databases; data mining techniques and advanced statistical methods to support better decision-making in rehabilitation practice and policy-making
Health outcome measurement, better use of information systems in the rehabilitation of older persons and the integration and use of knowledge and information in practice
[Daily Bulletin] June 1, 2018, 11 CBB Members Named Outstanding Performance Award Winners
[Waterloo News] June 9, 2017 "Researchers will transform health-care services for persons living with frailty"
- Identifying mechanisms linking physical exposures with knee osteoarthritis
- Global aim of preventing exposure-related musculoskeletal disorders