- Simulation, light and matter interactions, biomedical applications
- Predictive simulation of light interactions with organic and inorganic materials
- Realistic modeling of material appearance for image synthesis
- Remote sensing (effects of adverse environmental conditions on crops and forests)
- Biomedical optics (development of procedures and equipment for the prevention and treatment of different medical conditions, from jaundice to skin cancer)
- Web-based systems and applications (software engineering, applications, open data)
- Software engineering for enterprise management systems (business, government, environment, health)
Food safety using modern information and communications technology particularly the Cloud, Web and Mobile systems
- Agricultural management, precision agriculture and agri‐food technology, traceability from farm to fork
Assistive technology (physical, cognitive disabilities, dementia)
Computational social science
Affective computing, computer vision
[VJDementia] "The complex issue of emotion"
[Computer Science News] June 29, 2017 "ACT@Home: An emotionally intelligent cognitive assistant to help people with Alzheimer’s disease"
[Waterloo Stories] January 2, 2013 "Making life easier for those living with Alzheimer's"
- Integrative cancer biology
- Combination of cancer treatments
- Nano-scale drug delivery
- Cancer stem cells
[Waterloo News] June 23, 2016 "Nanotechnology and math deliver two-in-one punch for cancer therapy resistance"
[Waterloo Stories] February 11, 2015 "Study finds new lethal combination of cancer drugs shrinks tumors"
[Waterloo Stories] January 16, 2018 "Math can predict how cancer cells evolve"
- Human computation (crowdsourcing)
- Human-in-the-loop intelligent systems
- Online communities and citizen science
- Large-scale collaborative planning systems
- Interaction techniques and incentive mechanisms for volunteer-based human computation systems within Science and Public Health.
[Computer Science News] May 1, 2015 "CIHR-NSERC grant awarded to CS professor"
Integrative kidney physiology
March 29, 2018 "Canada 150 Research Chair joins Department of Applied Mathematics"
Bioinformatics tools (protein structures, genome mapping, conducting homology searches)
Protein structure prediction, and automated NMR protein structure determination
Stem cell image recognition
- Deep learning, natural language processing and automated conversation, AI
Canada Research Chair in Bioinformatics [Canada Research Chair Profile]
The Royal Society of Canada Fellow
[Waterloo Stories] April 5, 2013 "RSVP: Responding to a need"
[Waterloo Stories] July 6, 2012 "Solving life's big issues, one question at a time"
Machine learning and reasoning under uncertainty (artificial intelligence, computational statistics, decision and control theory)
Health informatics (assistive technologies, behaviour recognition, smart walkers, Alzheimer’s monitoring)
Natural language understanding (dialogue management, semantic analysis)
[National Post] May 11, 2018, weighs in on how Google's A.I. personal assistant sparks concerns about future of communication
[The Record] May 8,2018, have ties with a new Montreal sports analytics research lab in Kitchener
[Markets Insider] February 5, 2018 "Borealis AI increases brain power by adding top AI talent"
[The Globe and Mail] February 4, 2018 "How we can leverage AI to bridge academia and business"
[Waterloo Stories] April 12, 2013 "Breaking the fall: Smart walker will help prevent injuries"
- Experimental biological physics
- Stochastic processes in physics and biology
- Pysiological constraints on bioproduct synthesis
Lab Equipment: Imagestream MkII with 488nm, 642nm and 785nm lasers; 60x magnification
[YouTube Lectures] Winter School on Quantitative Systems Biology 2015
- Medical imaging (processing, registration, cell segmentation, tracking)
- Computer simulations (biomedical, brain and soft tissue injury and biomechanics, architectural, remote sensing, natural phenomena, fine arts)
- Computational finance
- Scientific computing (numerical solutions of partial differential equations, iterative methods, and multigrid preconditioning, parallel computation on high performance platforms)
Canada Research Chair in Scientific Computing [Canada Research Chair Profile]