Opportunities and Achievements
This page will announce upcoming mobility opportunities including conferences, internship, and exchanges.
See below for information on CREATE trainees' achievements including:
- Research Publications
- Conference Presentations
Remember to acknowledge funding by using the following texts in Research Publications:
We acknowledge the support of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), CREATE 509950-2018 Training in Global Biomedical Technology Research and Innovation.
CREATE Travel Assistantship Guideline and Application. [Document]
- Alan Yee is awarded the Mitacs Accelerate Award
- Ala Eldin Omer is awarded an IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Doctoral Research Grant.
- Ece Üreten gains a two month internship at Toronto Western Hospital working on DECIPhER Pilot Study.
- Alan Yee gains four month internship at OcuBlink
- Ala Eldin Omer gains three month internship at Laboratory of Electronics and Electromagnetism (L2E), Sorbonne University, Paris, France. Project: Triple-Poles Complementary Split Ring Resonator for Sensing Diabetics Glucose Levels at Centimeter Band.
- Jain D*, Mattiassi S*, Goh EG, Yim EKF. "Extracellular matrix and biomimetic engineering microenvironment for neuronal differentiation." in Neural Regeneration Research.
- Son Y*, Tse JW*, Zhou Y*, Mao W*, Yim EKF, Yoo HS. "Biomaterials and controlled release strategy for epithelial wound healing." in Biomaterials Science.
- Pohan, G., Chevallier, Pascale., Anderson, E. J. D., Tse, W. J. Yao, Y, Hagen, W. M., Mantovani, D., Hinds, T. M. and Yim, K. F. E* (2019). "Luminal Plasma Treatment for Small Diameter Polyvinyl Alcohol Tubular Scaffolds." in Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol., 7, article 117. [Link]
- Sotiri, I., Robichaud, M., Lee, D., Braune, S., Gorbet, M., Ratner, B. D., … Reviakine, I. (2019). "BloodSurf 2017: News from the blood-biomaterial frontier." in Acta Biomaterialia, 87, 55–60. [Link]
- Zhang, X., Xu, G., Ravi, A., Wang, Y., & Jiang, N. (2019). "Fusing Frontal and Occipital EEG Features to Detect "Brain Switch" by Utilizing Convolutional Neural Network." in IEEE Access.
- Ben Daya, I., Wong, A., Yeow, J., (2019)"Compensated row-column ultrasound imaging system using calibrated point spread function." in International conference on image analysis and recognition.
- Omer, A. E., Shaker, G., and Safavi-Naeini, S., (2018) "Non-invasive Glucose Monitoring at mm-Wave Frequencies,” in Journal of Computational Vision and Imaging Systems (JCVIS), vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 3-5. [Link]
- Shaker, G., Smith, K., Omer, A. E., Liu, S., Csech, C., Wadhwa, U., Safavi-Naeini, S., Hughson, R., (2018)"Non-Invasive Monitoring of Glucose Level Changes Utilizing a mm-Wave Radar System", in International Journal of Mobile Human Computer Interaction (IJMHCI), vol 10, no 3. [Link]
- Omer, A. E., Shaker, G., Safavi-Naeini, S., Murray, K., and Hughson, R., (2018) “Glucose Levels Detection using mm-Wave Radar”, in IEEE Sensors Letters, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 1-4, September 2018. Link
- Ben Daya, I., Shafiee, M., Large, M., Scharfenberger, C. Wong, A., (2018) "On robustness of deep neural networks: a comprehensive study on the effect of architecture and weight initialization to susceptibility and transferability of adversarial attacks." in Journal of computational vision and imaging systems.
- Aravind Ravi, Nargess Heydari, and Ning Jiang, "User-Independent SSVEP BCI Using Complex FFT Features and CNN Classification" at IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, SMC 2019.
- Reicelis Casares Li, Ece Üreten, Steven Dain, Karl Weiss, Catherine Burns, "A Pilot Study to Assess Ventilators Terminology as Proposed in ISO 19223",
- Aravind Ravi, Jacob Manuel, Nargess Heydari and Ning Jiang, "A Convolutional Neural Network for Enhancing the Detection of SSVEP in the Presence of Competing Stimuli", at 41st IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference (EMBC), Berlin Germany, Conference July 2019
- Aravind Ravi., Pearce, S., Zhang, X., & Jiang, N, "User-Specific Channel Selection Method to Improve SSVEP BCI Decoding Robustness Against Variable Inter-Stimulus Distance", Neural Engineering (NER), 2019 9th International IEEE/EMBS Conference, March 2019
- Aravind Ravi., Venugopal, H., Paul, S., & Tizhoosh, H, "A Dataset and Preliminary Results for Umpire Pose Detection Using SVM Classification of Deep Features", IEEE Symposium Series, December 2018
- Ala Eldin Omer (presenter), George Shaker and Safieddin Safavi-Naeini, "Non-invasive Glucose Monitoring at mm-Wave Frequencies", The 4th Annual Conference on Vision and Intelligent Systems (CVIS), November 2018
- Ala Eldin Omer (presenter), Mostafa Alizadeh, Doojin Lee, Safieddin Safavi-Naeini, George Shaker, and Robin Augustine, "On the Radars Utilization for Biomedical and Health Care Applications", The Biotechnology and Bioengineering Conference (BioTech), November 2018
"HOWZAT! Grad Students turn their love of cricket into a winning project"
NSERC CREATE Student, Aravind Ravi, along with fellow graduate students Harshwin Venugopal and Sruthy Paul, build an AI system to find and save highlights from video footage of cricket matches. Read the full article published on the University of Waterloo Homepage [here].
Shine On - Waterlupus's Winning Team
Ece Üreten and teammate Sagar Patel are the Winning Team at the Waterlupus Hackathon hosted by the University of Waterloo, University of Calgary and Queen's University in May 2019. Read the Waterlupus summary report [here] and the full story written by St. Paul's University College [here].
Researchers aim to develop prick free glucose monitor
A team led by George Shaker is working to develop a glucose monitor that does not require drawn blood to test the glucose levels. Ala Eldin Omer, a NSERC-CREATE student is a member of Shaker's team working to develop this product. Read the full article [here].