The Department of Biology offers thesis based graduate training at both the M.Sc. (Master of Science) and Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) levels.
The department requirement for the M.Sc. degree consists of:
- a minimum of three one-term courses accepted for graduate credit by the department
NOTE: One 400-level course (0.5 credit) can be applied toward the M.Sc. program with the approval of the supervisory committee, but the remainder of the courses must be at the graduate course level.
- M.Sc. thesis proposal milestone (see proposal guidelines PDF)
- M.Sc. graduate seminar
- M.Sc. thesis defence milestone
The department requirement for the Ph.D. degree consists of:
- a minimum of two one-term courses accepted for graduate credit by the Department of Biology. Ph.D. students cannot use a 400-level course to count towards their degree requirements.
NOTE: For candidates who do not hold a Master’s degree, the requirement will be a minimum of four one-term courses.
- Ph.D. thesis proposal milestone (see proposal guidelines PDF)
- Ph.D. graduate seminar
- Ph.D. comprehensive exam (see comprehensive guidelines PDF)
- Ph.D. thesis defence milestone