Illustrations allow us to communicate ideas or concepts beyond what we can photograph.
These guidelines apply to illustrations used in marketing and communication materials.
Tips for using illustration
- communicate ideas or high-level concepts
- illustrate findings that cannot be literally captured in photos or video
- be thought-provoking and expressive
- be unexpected
- be visually captivating
- don't be too literal or generic
- avoid illustrations that require deep technical knowledge
avoid illustrations that are devoid of meaning or are used purely as embellishment