Career Leader, Centre for Career Action – Winter 2019 Job Description
“Develop your own career while guiding your peers to develop theirs.”
Our mission at the Centre for Career Action is to educate and motivate all University of Waterloo students, alumni, staff, and post-docs to develop and take action to achieve current and future career goals. We accomplish this through high quality in-person and online services in partnership with students, alumni, employers, faculty and staff.
We are currently hiring senior undergraduate and graduate students for the winter 2019 term to support our busy career centre through advising students one-on-one on topics such as résumés, cover letters and interview skills. You will use a combination of training and personal experience to provide students with strategies, information, and resources to help them through their work search process. Through this role, you will also have opportunities to be involved in other events and activities organized by the Centre for Career Action.
- Provide brief one-on-one drop-in support for students who seek help and advice on résumés, cover letters and interview skills
- Quickly assess students’ needs and identify and deliver appropriate and helpful strategies for success
- Develop and maintain thorough knowledge of Centre for Career Action and University of Waterloo resources
- At times, work with students who may be experiencing stress and/or anxiety
- Maintain a high level of customer service and confidentiality
- Professional and friendly demeanor with excellent interpersonal skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Detail-oriented with a strong ability to organize and prioritize tasks
- Outstanding tact and diplomacy skills and ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to work under pressure and thrive in a sometimes noisy, busy, and fast paced environment
- Available to work approximately 8-12 hours per week the first month of the term and 1-4 hours per week the remainder of the term depending on the level of demand
- Flexibility to work from Monday to Friday between 8:30am-4:00pm (we will work around students’ class schedules)
- Available to work one to two 5-7pm shifts per month
- Must be available for a three-day training session – Date TBD (either January 2-4th or 7-9th from 9:00am to 4:30pm)
- Full-term commitment required with the possibility to extend your contract
- Must be a registered student
Please submit one PDF document containing your cover letter and résumé showing how you have demonstrated the qualities and skills mentioned above in work, volunteer and scholastic endeavors to Lauren Broderick email@example.com by 11:59pm on Thursday, November 1st, 2018. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Note: Applicants are responsible for ensuring that by accepting this position they would not compromise their enrolment status, visa conditions, or scholarship/award terms. If you are unsure, check with your department program coordinator.