Phone: 519-888-4567 ext. 32940
Office: EV1 323
As Instructional Developer, Consulting and Research, Dr. Julie Timmermans provides confidential teaching consultations for faculty members and instructional staff in areas, such as course design, delivery, and evaluation. She also supports faculty and staff with designing, implementing, and disseminating results from pedagogical research projects. Prior to joining the Centre for Teaching Excellence (CTE), Julie worked at McGill University’s Teaching and Learning Services, where she was involved in the Course Design and Teaching Workshop, graduate education initiatives, and teaching consultations. She also taught Effective Communication courses at McGill. Julie completed a PhD in Instructional Psychology and Higher Education at McGill. In her thesis, she explored the notion of development as it applies to student learning and to the work of educational developers, by drawing on the exciting research on threshold concepts.
- Timmermans, J. (2014). Identifying threshold concepts in the careers of educational developers. International Journal for Academic Development, 19, 305-371. doi:10.1080/1360144X.2014.895731
Timmermans, J. (2014). [Review of the book, La pédagogie de l’enseignement supérieur: repères théoriques et applications pratiques. Tome 1: Enseigner au supérieur [Teaching and learning in higher education: theoretical frameworks and practical applications. Volume 1: Teaching in higher education], by D. Berthiaume and N. Rege Colet (Eds.)]. International Journal for Academic Development, 19. 153-155. doi:10.1080/1360144X.2014.908095
Timmermans, J. (2010). Changing our minds: The developmental potential of threshold concepts. In J. H. F. Meyer, R. Land., & C. Baillie (Eds.),Threshold concepts and transformational learning. Rotterdam, the Netherlands: Sense.
Selected recent peer-reviewed presentations
- Middendorf, J., Pace, D., Shopkow, L., Barnett, J., & Timmermans, J. (2014, October). An accountant, a geologist, and a historian walk into a bar. . . .Decoding disciplinary epistemologies. Panel presentation at the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Conference, Quebec, Canada.
- Meyer, J. H. F. & Timmermans, J. (2014, July). Integrated Threshold Concept Knowledge. Plenary paper presented at the 5th biennial International Threshold Concepts Conference, Durham University, Durham, UK, July 10-11.
Selected fellowships and awards
- Robert J. Menges New Researcher Award, American Educational Research Association
- SSHRC National Doctoral Fellowship
- FQRSC Doctoral Research Scholarship