- BEng, Central South University, China
- MEng, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
- PhD, McMaster University
- Surface science and bionanomaterials
- Interfacial materials engineering for advanced manufacturing
- Biomimicry, biomimetic materials and devices
- Multifunctional polymers and nanocomposites
- Biopolymer, hydrogels and healthcare materials
- Advanced coating and adhesive bonding technology
Much of our work is motivated by the fundamental challenge and by the growing need of bionanotechnologies in advanced manufacturing, e.g. multifunctional 'green" and "smart" materials and processes, additive manufacture or 3D printing. A major theme of my research has been the development of Interfacial Materials Engineering technology and the exploration of the adhesion, surface forces and associated micro-mechanical properties of polymeric materials (synthetic and biological), sticky fluids (polymer melts, adhesives, pastes, inks and lubricants) in particular, under micro- and nanometer confinements. In contrast to the interfacial behavior of pure liquids and solids, which have been extensively studied in the century and are well described by the classic thermodynamics and contact mechanics theories (JKR, DMT), these soft materials have highly complex behavior and are not well understood, but they play increasingly important roles in the development of new materials and technologies to address the global challenges in water, energy, and healthcare applications for sustainable economy.
- Jeffrey d’Eon, Wei Zhang*, Li Chen**, Richard M. Berry, and Boxin Zhao†, “Coating nano-crystalline cellulose on polypropylene and its film adhesion and mechanical properties”, Cellulose [IF = 3.195]) 2017, 24: 1877.
- Zeinab Jahed, Hamed Shahsavan*, Mohit S. Verma, Jacob L. Rogowski, Brandon B. Seo,
Boxin Zhao, Ting Y. Tsui, Frank X. Gu, Mohammad R.K. Mofrad, “Bacterial Networks on Hydrophobic Micropillars” ACS Nano [IF=13.334], 2017, 11 (1), pp 675–683.
- Hamed Shahsavan*, Seyyed Muhammad Salili, Antal Jákli†, and Boxin Zhao†, “Thermally Active Liquid Crystal Network Gripper Mimicking the Self-peeling of Gecko Toe Pads”, Advanced Materials [IF = 18.960], 2017, 29, 1604021.
- Geoff Rivers*, Ehsan Marzbanrad*, Michael David Hook, Pearl Lee-Sullivan, Y. Norman Zhou, Boxin Zhao, “Resistance reductions in silver nanobelt networks via temperature-controlled oriented attachment”, Nanotechnology [IF=3.573], 2016, 27, 295606.
- Zihe Pan*, Tianchang Wang**, Shaofan Sun*, Boxin Zhao†, “Durable Multifunctional Microstructures: Combining Electrical Conductivity and Superoleophobicity”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces [IF = 7.145] 2015, 8 (3), 1795-1804.
- Wei Zhang*, Yikang Zhou*, Kun Feng, Josh Trinidad*, Aiping Yu and Boxin Zhao†, “Morphologically Controlled Bio-Inspired Dopamine-Polypyrrole Nanostructures With Tunable Electrical Properties” Advanced Electronic Materials, 2015, 1, 1500205,
- Hamed Shahsavan*, Seyyed Muhammad Salili, Antal Jákli†, and Boxin Zhao†, "Smart Muscle-driven Self-cleaning of Biomimetic Microstructures from Liquid Crystal Elastomers”, Advanced Materials [IF = 18.960], 2015, 27, 6828-6833.
- Behnam Meschi Amoli*; Josh Trinidad*; Geoffrey Rivers*; Abel Sy; Paola Russo; Aiping Yu; Norman Y Zhou; Boxin Zhao†, “SDS-stabilized graphene nanosheets for highly electrically conductive adhesives”, Carbon [IF = 6.198], 2015, 91, 188-199
- Wei Zhang*, Zihe Pan*, Fut K. Yang, and Boxin Zhao†, “A Facile In-Situ Approach to Polypyrrole Functionalization through Bio-Inspired Catechols”, Advanced Functional Materials [IF = 11.382], 2015, 25(10), 1588-1597
- Alek Cholewinski*, Josh Trinidad*, Brendan McDonald*, Boxin Zhao†, “Bio-inspired Polydimethylsiloxane-Functionalized Silica Particles - Epoxy Bilayer as a Robust Superhydrophobic Surface Coating”, Surface and Coatings Technology [IF = 2.139], 2014, 254, 230-237
- Hamed Shahsavan*; Boxin Zhao†, “Bio-inspired Functionally Graded Adhesive Materials: Synergetic Interplay of Top Viscous-elastic Layers with Base Micropillars”, Macromolecules [IF = 5.554], 2013, 47(1), 353-364
- Wenjie Wang*, Sarang P. Gumfekar*, Qingjie Jiao, and Boxin Zhao† “Ferrite-grafted Polyaniline Nanofibers as Electromagnetic Shielding Materials”, Journal of Materials Chemistry C [IF = 4.509], 2013, 1 (16), 2851 - 2859
- Dhamodaran Arunbabu**, Hamed Shahsavan*, Wei Zhang* and Boxin Zhao†, “Poly(AAc-co-MBA) Hydrogel Films: Adhesive and Mechanical Properties in Aqueous Medium”, Journal of Physical Chemistry B [IF = 3.187], 2013, 117 (1), pp 441–449
- Fut Kuo Yang*, Wei Zhang*, Yougun Han*, Serge Yoffe, Yungchi Cho*, and Boxin Zhao†, “Contact” of Nanoscale Stiff Films, Langmuir [IF = 3.993], 2012 28 (25), pp 9562–9572