Professor Yim’s work on stem cells, nanofabrication and biomaterials supports the advancement of healthcare technologies to repair, replace or regenerate damaged tissue and organ structures.
BSc, University of Toronto
MASc, University of Toronto
PhD, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, USA
Modulation of cell behavior with nanotopography
Topography-regulation of stem cells lineage commitment and differentiation
Differentiation of adult and pluripotent stem cells with nanotopography
Fabrication and application of nano-structure for biomedical applications in neural, vascular, and cornea tissue engineering
Biomaterial approach to study ex-vivo pluripotent stem cell expansion
- Cutiongco MA*, Goh SH*, Aid R, Le Visage C, Low HY, Yim EKF. “Planar and Tubular Patterning of Micro and Nano-topographies on Poly(vinyl alcohol) Hydrogel for Improved Endothelial Cell Responses”. Biomaterials. Accepted. In press
- Cutiongco MA, Anderson DEJ, Hinds MT, Yim EKF. “In vitro and ex vivo hemocompatibility of off-the-shelf modified poly(vinyl alcohol) vascular grafts”. Acta Biomaterialia. 25: 97-108. 2015.
- Muhammad R, Peh GSL, Adnan K, Law JBK, Mehta JS, Yim EKF. “Micro- and nano-topography to enhance proliferation and sustain functional markers of donor-derived primary human corneal endothelial cells”. Acta Biomaterialia. 19: 138-48. 2015.
- Cutiongco MA, Teo KKB, Yim EKF. “Composite scaffolds of interfacial polyelectrolyte fibers for temporally controlled release of biomolecules.” Journal of Visualized Experiments. 102. 2015.
- Ankam S*, Lim CK*, Yim EKF. “Actomyosin contractility plays a role in expression of MAP2 during neuronal differentiation of human embryonic stem cells”. Biomaterials. 47: 20-8. 2015. *co-first authors
- Cutiongco MFA, Choo RKT, Shen NJX, Chua BMX, Sju E, Choo AWL, Le Visage C, Yim EKF. "Composite scaffold of poly(vinyl alcohol) and interfacial polyelectrolyte complexation fibers for controlled biomolecule delivery.” Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology. doI: 10.3389/fbioe.2015.00003. 2015
- Tan KK*, Tann JY*, Sathe SR, Goh SH, Ma DL, Goh EL, Yim EKF. “Enhanced Differentiation of Neural Progenitor Cells into Neurons of the Mesencephalic Dopaminergic Subtype on Topographical Patterns”. Biomaterials. 43: 32-43. 2015. *co-first authors
- Li K*, Yamamoto M*, Chan SJ, Chiam MY, Qin W, Wong PTH^, Yim EKF^, Tang BZ, Liu B^. “Organic nanoparticles with aggregation-induced emission for tracking bone marror stromal cells in rat ischemic stroke model.” Chemical Communications. 50: 15136-15139. 2014. *co-first authors; ^ co-corresponding authors
- Muhammad R*, Lim SH*, Goh SH, Law JBK, Saifullah MS, Ho GW, Yim EKF. “Sub-100 nm patterning of TiO2 film for the regulation of endothelial and smooth muscle cell functions”. Biomaterials Science. 2: 1740-1749. 2014. *co-first authors
- Cutiongco MFA, Tan MH, Ng MYK, Le Visage C, Yim EKF. “Composite pullulan-dextran polysaccharide scaffold with interfacial polyelectrolyte complexation fibers: platform with enhanced cell interaction and spatial distribution”. Acta Biomaterialia. 10(10):4410-4418. 2014
- Chua JS, Chng C-P, Moe AAK, Tann JY, Goh EL, Chiam K-H, Yim EKF. “Extending neurites sense the depth of the underlying topography during neuronal differentiation and contact guidance”. Biomaterials, 35(27):7750-7761. 2014.