University Research Chair & Professor
- PhD, Physics, University of Guelph
- BSc, Mathematical Physics, Simon Fraser
Our research focuses on molecular self-assembly in polymeric systems involving block copolymers. Block copolymer molecules consist of chemically distinct polymer chains (i.e., blocks) covalently bonded together, and they self-assemble because of a general tendency for unlike blocks to phase separate. When this happens, the unlike blocks form microdomains often with some intricate periodically-ordered geometry. Not only do these molecules possess significant commercial applications, they also represent a model system for studying general phenomena associated with molecular self-assembly. This is in part due to various experimental advantages of working with polymeric materials, and also because there exists a highly advanced theory for modelling block copolymers known as self-consistent field theory (SCFT).
The systems that we examine vary from simple melts of diblock copolymer to block copolymers with elaborate architectures. We also look at blends of various block copolymer combinations and blends with conventional polymers and/or solvents. Issues that I examine include the bulk equilibrium behaviour, the behaviour of thin films, defects and grain boundaries, interfacial behaviour, and phase transitions.
- M. Ilton, P. Stasiak, M. W. Matsen, and K. Dalnoki-Veress, Quantized contact angles in the dewetting of a structured liquid. Phys. Rev. Lett. (submitted)
- P. Stasiak and M. W. Matsen, Monte Carlo field-theoretic simulations for melts of symmetric diblock copolymer. Macromolecules 46 , 8037 (2013) .
- R. D. Peters, P. Stasiak, M. W. Matsen, and K. Dalnoki-Veress, Morphology induced spinodal decomposition at the surface of symmetric diblock copolymer films. ACS Macro Lett., 2 , 441 (2013) .
- M. W. Matsen, Comparison of A-block polydispersity effects on BAB triblock and AB diblock copolymer melts. Eur. Phys. J. E, 36 , 44 (2013) .
- P. Stasiak, J. D. McGraw, K. Dalnoki-Veress, and M. W. Matsen, Step edges in thin films of lamellar-forming diblock copolymer. Macromolecules 45 , 9531 (2012) .
- M. W. Matsen, Self-consistent field theory for melts of low-molecular-weight diblock copolymer. Macromolecules 45 , 8502 (2012) .
- M. W. Matsen, Effect of architecture on the phase behavior of AB-type block copolymer melts. Macromolecules 45 , 2161 (2012) .
- M. W. Matsen, Effect of salt on the compression of polyelectrolyte brushes in a theta solvent. Eur. Phys. J. E 35 , 13 (2012) .
- J. D. McGraw, I. D. W. Rowe, M. W. Matsen, and K. Dalnoki-Veress, Dynamics of interacting edge defects in copolymer lamellae. Eur. Phys. J. E 34 , 131 (2011) .
- B. M. D. O'Driscoll, G. H. Griffiths, M. W. Matsen and I. W. Hamley Structure variation and evolution in microphase-separated grafted diblock copolymer films. Macromolecules 44 , 8527 (2011) .
- P. Stasiak and M. W. Matsen, Efficiency of pseudo-spectral algorithms with Anderson mixing for the SCFT of periodic block-copolymer phases. Eur. Phys. J. E 34 , 110 (2011) .
- T. M. Beardsley and M. W. Matsen, Monte Carlo phase diagram for a polydisperse diblock copolymer melt. Macromolecules 44 , 6209 (2011) .
- B. Vorselaars, J. U. Kim, T. L. Chantawansri, G. H. Fredrickson and M. W. Matsen, Self-consistent field theory for diblock copolymers grafted to a sphere. Soft Matter 7 , 5128 (2011) .
- J. L. Carvalho, M. V. Massa, S. L. Cormier, M. W. Matsen, and K. Dalnoki-Veress, Reversible sphere-to-lamellar wetting transition at the interface of a diblock copolymer system. Eur. Phys. J. E 34 , 51 (2011) .
- M. W. Matsen, Compression of polyelectrolyte brushes in a salt-free theta solvent. Eur. Phys. J. E 34 , 45 (2011) .
- G. H. Griffiths, B. Vorselaars and M. W. Matsen, Unit-cell approximation for diblock-copolymer brushes grafted to spherical particles. Macromolecules 44 , 3649 (2011) .
- M. W. Matsen, Strong-segregation limit of the self-consistent field theory for diblock copolymer melts. Eur. Phys. J. E 33 , 297 (2010) .
- B. M. D. O'Driscoll, G. H. Griffiths, M. W. Matsen, S. Perrier, V. Ladmiral and I. W. Hamley, Lateral phase separation in grafted diblock copolymer films. Macromolecules 43 , 8177 (2010) .
- T. M. Beardsley and M. W. Matsen, Monte Carlo phase diagram for diblock copolymer melts. Eur. Phys. J. E 32 , 255 (2010) .
- M. W. Matsen, Architectural effect on the surface tension of an ABA triblock copolymer melt. Macromolecules 43 , 1671 (2010) .
University of Waterloo