- BSc, Chemical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
- BSc, Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University
- MChE, Carnegie Mellon University
- PhD, McGill University
Our research group is focused on both industrial and fundamental research on processes involving soft matter, complex fluids, multiphase flow, and phase transition. Our research is based upon theory and computational methods that are able to capture industrially relevant conditions including multiphysics, complex geometries, and other phenomena.
- Dynamics of Liquid Crystal Domains
- Hydrodynamics of Reacting Multiphase Flows
- Computational Methods in Engineering
For more details, recent news, and information about our group members, please see the Abukhdeir Research Group website.
- R.A.E. Neufeld, H. Shahsavan, B. Zhao, N.M. Abukhdeir. Simulation-based Design of Thermally-driven Actuators using Liquid Crystal Elastomers. submitted to ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces
- N.M. Abukhdeir. Nematic phase transition and texture dynamics. Liquid Crystals, 2016 (accepted) Special Issue: 30th Anniversary Issue Dedicated to the Next Generation of Liquid Crystals Researchers.
- N.M. Abukhdeir. Computational characterization of ordered nanostructured surfaces. Materials Research Express 3(8), 2016. Special Issue: Emerging Investigators in Materials Science.
- J. Dong, I.A. Goldthorpe, N.M. Abukhdeir. Automated quantification of one-dimensional nanostructure alignment on surfaces. Nanotechnology 27(23), 2016.
- P. Khayyatzadeh, P., F. Fu & N.M. Abukhdeir. Field-driven dynamics of nematic microcapillaries. Physical Review E 92:062509, 2015.
- J. Dong, N.M. Abukhdeir and I.A. Goldthorpe. Simple assembly of long nanowires through substrate stretching and quantifying the alignment. Nanotechnology 26(48):485302, 2015.
- J. McGill, N.M. Abukhdeir, B. Ogunnaike, and D. Vlachos. Analysis and control of heteroepitaxial systems. J. Process Control 27:50-63, 2015. Special Issue: Control of Self-assembly
- R Suderman, D Lizotte, and NM Abukhdeir. Theory and Application of Shapelets to the Analysis of Surface Self-assembly Imaging, Physical Review E 91:033307, 2015.
- Khaligh, H., Liew, K., Han, Y., Abukhdeir, N., & Goldthorpe, I.A. Silver nanowire transparent electrodes for liquid crystal-based smart windows. Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 132:337-341, 2015.
- T. Treeratanaphitak, M. Pritzker, and NM Abukhdeir. Atomistic Kinetic Monte Carlo Simulations of Polycrystalline Copper Electrodeposition. Electrochemistry Communications, 46:140-143, 2014.
- N.M. Abukhdeir and D.G. Vlachos. Nano-scale Surface Pattern Evolution in Heteroepitaxial Bimetallic Films. ACS Nano, 5(9):7168-7175, 2011.
- E.R. Soulé, N.M. Abukhdeir, and A.D. Rey. Thermodynamics, transition dynamics, and texturing in polymer-dispersed liquid crystals with mesogens exhibiting a direct isotropic/smectic-a transition. Macromolecules, 42(24):9486–9497, 2009.
- N.M. Abukhdeir, E.R. Soulé, and A.D. Rey. Non-isothermal model for nematic spherulite growth. Langmuir, 24(23):13605–13613, 2008.
- N.M. Abukhdeir and A.D. Rey. Defect kinetics and dynamics of pattern coarsening in a two-dimensional smectic-A system. New Journal of Physics, 10(6):063025 (17pp), 2008.
University of Waterloo