Michael Palmer carries out research in biochemistry. His research focuses on the interaction of peptides and proteins with biological membranes. One current area of interest is the action mode of lipopeptide antibiotic daptomycin, as well as the mechanism of bacterial resistance to it.
- Pore-forming toxins
Michael Palmer's research focuses on protein-lipid interaction in biological membranes:
- Structure and function of bacterial pore-forming toxins
- Structure and function of lipopeptide antibiotics
- Development of fluorescence methods to study protein-protein and protein-membrane interaction
His experiments involve a range of methods including fluorescence, protein chemistry, and molecular biology.
Michael Palmer teaches both undergraduate and graduate courses. Recent course offerings include metabolism, biochemical pharmacology, biological membranes, and computer methods in protein structure and function.
Recent publications include
- Kralt, B., Moreira, R., Palmer, M., & Taylor, S. D. (2019). Total Synthesis of Analogs of A54145D and A54145A1 for Structure-Activity Relationship Studies. The Journal of Organic Chemistry.
- Kralt, B., Moreira, R., Palmer, M., & Taylor, S. D. (2019). Total Synthesis of A54145 Factor D. The Journal of organic chemistry, 84(18), 12021-12030.
- Li, Y., Zeng, W., Fan, W., Ma, H., Fan, X., Jiang, J., Brefo-Mensah, E., Zhang, Y., Yang, M., Dong, Z. and Palmer, M. (2019). Structure determination of the CAMP factor of Streptococcus agalactiae with the aid of an MBP tag and insights into membrane-surface attachment. Acta Crystallographica Section D: Structural Biology, 75(8), 772-781.
- Noden, M., Moreira, R., Huang, E., Yousef, A., Palmer, M., & Taylor, S. D. (2019). Total Synthesis of Paenibacterin and Its Analogues. The Journal of organic chemistry, 84(9), 5339-5347.
- Moreira, R., Barnawi, G., Beriashvili, D., Palmer, M., & Taylor, S. D. (2019). The effect of replacing the ester bond with an amide bond and of overall stereochemistry on the activity of daptomycin. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry, 27(1), 240-246.
- Barnawi, G., Noden, M., Taylor, R., Lohani, C., Beriashvili, D., Palmer, M., & Taylor, S. D. (2019). An entirely fmoc solid phase approach to the synthesis of daptomycin analogs. Peptide Science, 111(1), e23094.
Awards and Distinctions
- Boehringer Ingelheim Award, 1999
- 'DGHM - Förderpreis' (young investigator award, German Society of Hygiene and Microbiology), 1998
University of Waterloo Affiliations
- Cross appointed to the Department of Biology
- Member of the Institute of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Waterloo Centre for Microbial Research (member)
Professional Associations and Service
- Chemistry Department seminar coordinator, 2011-present
- Chemistry Department Awards Committee, 2008-present
- Science Building Committee, 2008-15
The following news stories have featured Michael Palmer's research:
2000 Habilitation Medical Microbiology, University of Mainz, Germany
1991 Dr. med. (M.D.), University of Mainz, Germany
1987 Approbation als Arzt (Approved Physician), University of Giessen, Germany