You will need approx. 5-6 weeks to set up your PhD Comprehensive Examination:
- 1-2 weeks to communicate with the members of your committee in order to find a date and time that suits everyone,
- 4 weeks prior to the proposed date of your PhD Comprehensive Examination, you will need to fill out the appropriate paperwork and submit it to the Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies, in E2-2328A.
Please also review the EGSO PhD Comprehensive Examination webpage for a detailed breakdown of the comp exam timing, research proposal, booking the comp, and the comp exam evaluation.
5 weeks prior to PhD Comp Exam
- Confirm your committee with your supervisor(s).
- Communicate with your supervisor(s) and committee members to select a date and time at which everyone is available to attend your PhD Comprehensive Examination.
4 weeks prior to the PhD Comp Exam
- Fill out the PhD Comprehensive Examination Form; input the data requested in each field, with the exception of the “Location” box (it will be filled out at a later time).
- Print off the form and bring it to the Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies, in E2-2328A, who will book a room and complete the “PhD Comprehensive Examination Form”.
- Once the form is completed, the Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies will send this form to the Faculty Graduate Studies Coordinator, who will determine the “Chair” of your PhD Comprehensive Examination.
- Submit a copy of your research proposal to your committee members so that they have time to review it in anticipation of your examination.
1-2 weeks prior to the PhD Comp Exam
- Once the “Chair” of your PhD Comprehensive Examination has been determined, you and your committee will receive a confirmation e-mail from the Faculty Graduate Studies Coordinator. Please note that the process of finding a Chair may take several weeks.