Our policies and procedures are designed to keep our graduate programs safe, stimulating and fair for all. Within all Departments at the University of Waterloo, we strive to create a culture of academic integrity where all members of the community promote honesty, trust, fairness, respect and responsibility.
Review the policies and procedures below, which are relevant to your life as a graduate student within the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
You can also review a more comprehensive list of university-wide policies relevant to graduate students, including vacations and vacation pay, pets on campus, conflict of interest and more.
Social Insurance Number (SIN)
If you are an International Student and secure a TA or CA position, you will need to register for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in order to be paid. Follow the steps below to acquire a SIN number:
- Obtain an “Offer of Employment/Contract of Employment Letter” from your hiring department. The letter should satisfy the following criteria:
- It must be original.
- It must be printed on university letterhead.
- It must indicate that the work is located on campus.
- It must include the employer's name and telephone number.
- It must be signed by a university official.
- It must include the student's name.
- Complete an application for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), which are printed out and available in E2-2328A.
- Bring your Passport, Study Permit, Program Confirmation Letter, Offer of Employment/Contract of Employment, and SIN application to the Kitchener Service Canada Centre, located at:
- Market Square, Suite 200 25 Frederick Street
The Graduate Studies Academic Calendar is your official source for the current degree requirements of your academic program.
- MASc students should carefully review the Steps to completion.
- Please note that prior to completing step three, you will need to have your supervisor determine a second reader, as well as e-mail the Administrator Coordinator, Graduate Studies, Victoria Tolton, and request that she find you a third reader.
- Students admitted in Spring 2017 onwards have the milestone requirement of "MASc Defense". You will need to submit your "MASc Defense Form (PDF) " to the Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies at the same time that you submit your "Thesis Acceptance Form".
- PhD students should carefully review the Steps to completion.
- The Graduate Studies Office maintains a comprehensive web site that relates to various Thesis regulations, including information on how to prepare and submit your final thesis.
The majority of the forms you will require while a student at UW can be found on the Graduate Studies Office's Forms page. Whenever possible, please fill out forms electronically. If you must fill out forms by hand, please do so in blue or black ink. All forms must be submitted to CEE's Administrative Coordinator, Graduate Studies for processing. Some forms are Department specific and can be found here:
Visit the Courses page maintained by the Faculty of Engineering Graduate Office to learn more about the following items:
- course registration
- course changes
- transfer courses
Visit the Program guidelines page on the Faculty of Engineering Graduate Office to learn more about the following items:
- program changes (ex. changing from a MASc to a PhD),
- program extensions
- program withdrawal procedures