P. Eng., Professor, Canada Research Chair
- Areas such as 3D machine vision and modeling, data fusion, and robotics, while also applying the fundamentals of optimization, graph theory, statistical analysis, discrete event simulation, system dynamics modeling, process modeling and management, and decision theory
- Applications including capital projects process management and sustainability
- Construction engineering, management, and industrialization,
- Infrastructure management including roads as well as water utilities, and Workforce development
Current Sources of Research Funding:
NSERC, Aecon, SNC Lavalin, Coreworx, PCL, CII
- Nahangi, M., and Haas, C., “Automated Form Checking for Pipe Spool Fabrication,” Advanced Engineering Informatics, in press, 2014.
- Ahmed, M., Haas, R., and Haas, C., “Automatic Detection of Cylindrical Objects in Built Facilities,” Computing in Civil Engineering, 28 (3), 04014009, 2013.
- Shahi, A., Haas, C., West, J., and Akinci, B.,”Workflow-Based Construction Research Data Management and Dissemination.” J. Comput. Civ. Eng., 28(2), 244–252, 2014.
- Vaziri, S.H., Haas, C.T., Rothenburg, L., Haas, R.C., “Investigation of the effect of weight factor on performance of piezoelectric weigh-in-motion sensors,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, 139 (9), pp. 913-922, 2013
- Shahi, A., West, J., and Haas, C., “Onsite 3D Marking for Construction Activity Tracking,” Automation in Construction 30 (2013) 136–143, 2013.
- Zhang, D., Haas, C., Goodrum, P., and Caldas, C., “Construction small-projects rework reduction for capital facilities,” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 138 (12), pp. 1377-1385, 2012.
- Nasir, H., Haas, C., Forgues, D., Fayek, A., Ruwanpura, J., and Rankin, J., “Development and implementation of a benchmarking and metrics program for construction performance and productivity improvement,” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering 39 (9), pp. 957-967, 2012.
- Gouett, M., Haas, C., Caldas, C., and Goodrum, C., “Activity Analysis in Industrial Construction,” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 137(12), pp. 1117-1124, 2012.
- Turkan, Y., Bosche, F., Haas, R., and Haas, C., “Automated Progress Tracking Using 4D Schedule and 3D Sensing Technologies,” Automation in Construction 22 , pp. 414-421, 2012.
- Ahmed, M., Haas, R., and Haas, C., “Toward Low-Cost 3D Automatic Pavement Distress Surveying: The Close Range Photogrammetry Approach,” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 38(12), pp. 1301-1313, 2011.
- Rehan, R., Knight, M., Unger, A., and Haas, C., “Application of System Dynamics for developing financially self-sustaining management policies for water and wastewater systems,” Water Research 45 (16), pp. 4737-4750, 2011.
- Razavi, S., Haas, C., “Multi-sensor Data Fusion for On-Site Materials Tracking in Construction,” Automation in Construction 19 (8), pp. 1037-1046, 2010.
- Zhai, D., Goodrum, P., Haas, C., and Caldas, C., “The Relationship between Automation and Integration of Construction Information Systems and Labor Productivity,” ASCE JCEM, Vol. 135, no. 8, August, 2009.
- Hwang, B., Thomas, S., Haas, C., and Caldas, C., “Measuring the Impacts of Rework on Construction Cost Performance,” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 135, No. 3, pp. 187-198, 2009.
- Bosche, F., Haas, C.T., "Automated Retrieval of 3D CAD Model Objects in Construction 3D Images", Journal of Automation in Construction, Elsevier, New-York, USA, Volume 17, Issue 4, pp 499-512, 2008.
- Teizer, J., Caldas, C.H., and Haas, C.T., “Real-time three-dimensional occupancy grid modeling for the detection and tracking of construction resources,” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 133 (11), pp. 880-888, 2007.
- Caron, F., Razavi, S., Song, J., Vanheeghe, P., Duflos, E., Caldas, C., and Haas, C.,“Locating Sensor Nodes on Construction Projects,” Autonomous Robots, 10.1007/s10514-006-9720-1, September, 2006.
- Beheiry, Salwa M., Chong, Wai Kiong and Haas, Carl T., “Examining Business Impact of Owner Commitment to Sustainability,” ASCE J. of Construction Engineering and Management Volume 132, Issue 4, April 2006, pp. 384-392.
- Kim, C., Haas, C., Liapi, K., and Caldas, C., “Human-Assisted Obstacle Avoidance System Using 3D Workspace Modeling for Construction Equipment Operation,” ASCE J. Comp. in Civ. Engrg., Volume 20, Issue 3, (May/June 2006), pp. 177-186.
- Song, J., Haas, C., Caldas, C., Ergen, E., and Akinci, B., “Automating The Task of Tracking the Delivery and Receipt of Fabricated Pipe Spools in Industrial Projects,” Automation in Construction, Vol. 15/2, March 2006, pp 166-177.
- Kim, C., Haas, C., and Liapi, K., “Rapid, On-Site Spatial Information Acquisition and its Use for Infrastructure Operation and Maintenance,” Automation in Construction, Vol 14/5, Oct. 2005, pp.666-684.
- Song, J., Fagerlund, W., Haas, C., Vanegas, J., and Tatum, C., “Considering Prework on Industrial Projects,” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 131, no. 6, June 2005, pp. 723-733.
- Kwon, Bosche, Kim, Haas, and Liapi, “Fitting Range Data to Primitives for Rapid Local 3D Modeling Using Sparse Range Point Clouds,” Automation in Construction 13, January 2004, pp. 67-81.
- Kim, H., Rauch, A.F., and Haas, C., “Automated Quality Assessment of Stone Aggregates Based on Laser Imaging and a Neural Network,” ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, vol. 18, issue 1, January 2004, pp. 58-64.
- Cho, Y.K., and Haas C.T., “Rapid Geometric Modeling for Unstructured Construction Workspaces,” Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, pp. 242-253, no. 18, 2003.
- Goodrum, P., and Haas, C., “Partial Factor Productivity and Equipment Technology Change at the Activity Level in the U.S. Construction Industry,” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 128, no.6, pp 463-472, Nov/Dec, 2002.
- Gomar, J., Haas, C., and Morton, D., “Assignment and Allocation Optimization of a Partially Multiskilled Workforce,” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 128, No. 2, pp. 103-109, March/April 2002.
- Allmon, E., Haas, C., Borcherding, J., and Goodrum, P., “U.S. Construction Labor Productivity Trends from 1970 - 1998,” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 126, No. 2, pp. 97-104, Mar./Apr. 2000.
- Burleson, R., Haas, C., and Tucker, R., “Multiskilled Labor Utilization Strategies in Construction,” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 124, No. 6, pp. 480-489, Nov./Dec. 1998.
- Lin, K., and Haas, C., “Multiple Heavy Lifts Optimization,” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 122, No. 4, pp. 354-362, Dec. 1996.
- Hornaday, W., Haas, C., O'Connor, J., and Wen, J., “Computer Aided Planning for Heavy Lifts,” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 119(3), pp. 498-515, Sept. 1993.
- Haas, C., and Hendrickson, C., “Integration of Diverse Technologies for Pavement Sensing,” the National Research Council's Transportation Research Record, No. 1311, pp. 92-102, 1991.
- Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering (CAE)
- Fellow of the US National Academy of Construction (NAC)
- Canadian Society of Civil Engineers (CSCE)
- Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- National Research Council’s Transportation Research Board (TRB)
- International Association for Automation and Robotics in Construction
- Construction Industry Institute
- Project Management
- Sensing in Civil Engineering
- Construction Methods and Heavy Construction
- Construction Robotics
- Managing Uncertainty in Capital Projects
- Civil Engineering Systems
- Engineering Economics
University of Waterloo