- Interaction between transportation and economics, trade, energy, transportation network resiliency/criticality/robustness/vulnerability, risk, dangerous goods movement, transport economics, transport project and policy evaluation
- Methods: Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) models, Input-Output (IO) analysis, Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), Random Utility Models (RUMs), Cost-Benefit Analysis (CBA), travel demand modeling, microscopic traffic simulation, optimization
- Current Projects:
- A Case Study of the Impact of the Canada-Korea Free Trade Agreement (CKFTA) on Canada’s Transportation System. This project aims to quantify the impact of the CKFTA in terms of the resulting shipments and vehicle flows on the Canadian transportation system. Sponsor: Transport Canada
- Economic Criticality of Ontario’s Highway Infrastructure. This work seeks to quantify the economic criticality of Ontario’s highway infrastructure (i.e., those roads where disruptions would have particularly severe economic consequences). Sponsor: Ministry of Transportation of Ontario
- Identifying Common Risks in Large Projects. This study is assessing construction project risks to develop evidence-based estimates of expected time and cost impacts for large transportation projects in Ontario. Sponsor: Ministry of Transportation of Ontario
Current Sources of Research Funding:
- Transport Canada
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO)
- University of Waterloo start-up fund
- Bachmann, C., Kennedy, C., & Roorda, M. J. (2015). Estimating regional trade flows using commercial vehicle survey data. Forthcoming in The Annals of Regional Science.
- Bachmann, C., Roorda M. J., & Kennedy C. (2015). Developing a multi-scale multi-region input–output model. Economic Systems Research, 27(2), 172-193.
- Bachmann, C., Chingcuanco, F., MacLean, H., & Roorda, M. J. (2015). Life-cycle assessment of diesel-electric hybrid and conventional diesel trucks for deliveries. Journal of Transportation Engineering, 141(4).
- Bachmann, C., Kennedy, C., & Roorda, M. J. (2014). Applications of random-utility-based multi-region input–output models of transport and the spatial economy. Transport Reviews: A Transnational Transdisciplinary Journal, 34(4), 418-440.
- Bachmann, C., Roorda, M. J., Abdulhai, B., & Moshiri, B. (2013). Fusing a Bluetooth traffic monitoring system with loop detector data for improved freeway traffic speed estimation. Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems: Technology, Planning, and Operations, 17(2), 152-164.
- Bachmann, C., Abdulhai, B., Roorda, M. J., & Moshiri, B. (2013). A comparative assessment of multi-sensor data fusion techniques for freeway traffic speed estimation using microsimulation modeling. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 26, 33-48.
- Bachmann, C., Roorda, M. J., & Abdulhai, B. (2011). Improved time-to-collision definition for simulating traffic conflicts on truck-only infrastructure. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2237, 31-40.
University of Waterloo