- Production of bio-energy (electricity, H2, and CH4) and bio-chemicals from biomass
- Nutrients recovery from organic waste and wastewater
- Thermodynamic/kinetic analyses on microbial metabolisms in engineered and natural systems
Current Sources of Research Funding:
NSERC, MEDI, CFI, GE
- An, J.; Lee, H.S. (2014) Occurrence of voltage reversal and its implication in stacked microbial fuel cells. ChemSusChem. DOI: 10.1002/cssc.201300949.
- Gao, Y.; Ryu, H.D.; An, J.; Lee, H.S. (2014) Microbial fuel cells as discontinuous portable power sources: syntropic interactions with anode-respiring bacteria. ChemSusChem 7 (4), 1026-1029.
- Gao, Y.; Ryu, H.D.; Santo Domingo, J.W.; Lee, H.S. (2014) Syntrophic interactions between homoacetogens and anode-respiring bacteria (ARB) in microbial electrochemical cells, Bioresource Technology 153, 245–253.
- Dhar B.P.; Gao Y.; Yeo, H.; Lee, H.S. (2013) Separation of competitive microorganisms using anaerobic membrane bioreactors as pretreatment to microbial electrochemical cells. Bioresource Technology, 148, 208-214.
- American Chemical Society
- International Water Association
- Association of Environmental Engineering & Science Professor
- Canadian Association of Water Quality
University of Waterloo