Professor & Associate Chair Undergraduate Studies
- Climate change impacts on water and treatability.
- Physico-chemical drinking water and wastewater treatment processes.
- Integrated water and land management.
- Implications/characterization of nutrients (NOM, P, and N) for drinking water treatment.
- Pathogen and nanoparticle removal during drinking water and wastewater treatment.
- Pathogen transport in the subsurface.
- Quantitative microbial risk assessment.
- Source water protection.
- Riverbank (in-bank) filtration
Current Sources of Research Funding:
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada
- Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI)
- Canadian Water Network (CWN)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
- Water Economics, Policy, and Governance Network (WEPGN)
- Region of Waterloo
- City of Guelph
- City of Ottawa
- Stantec Consulting Ltd.
- Associated Engineering Inc.
- Fairmount Water Solutions Inc.
- Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development (AESRD)
- Alberta Innovates – Energy and Environment Solutions (AI-EES)
- Alberta Innovates – Bio Solutions (AI-BIO)
- City of Calgary
- Emelko, M.B. and Sham, C.H. Wildfire Impacts on Water Supplies and the Potential for Mitigation. Canadian Water Network and Water Research Foundation. 2014.
- Silins, U., Bladon, K.D., Kelly, E., Esch, E., Spence, J., Stone, M., Emelko, M.B., Boon, S., Wagner, M.J., Williams, C.H.S., Tichkowsky, I. Five-year Legacy of Wildfire and Salvage Logging Impacts on Nutrient Runoff and Aquatic Plant, Invertebrate, and Fish Productivity. Ecohydrology. Accepted January 21, 2014. In press. DOI: 10.1002/eco.1474.
- Stone, M., Collins, A., Silins, U., Emelko, M.B. and Zhang, Y. The Use of Composite Fingerprints to Quantify Sediment Sources in a Wildfire Impacted Landscape, Alberta, Canada. Sci. Total Environ., 473-474:642-650, 2014.
- Schmidt, P.J., Emelko, M.B. and Thompson, M.E. Analytical Recovery of Protozoan Enumeration Methods: Have Drinking Water QMRA models Corrected or Created Bias? Water Research, 47:7:2399-2408, 2013.
- Mesquita, M.M.F. and Emelko, M.B. Bacteriophages as Surrogates for the Fate and Transport of Pathogens in Source Water and in Drinking Water Treatment Processes. Bacteriophages. I. Kurtboke Ed. InTech, 2012.
- Allin, D., Stone, M. Silins, U., Emelko, M.B., and Collins, A. The Effects of Wildfire on Sediment-associated Phosphorus Speciation in the Crowsnest River Basin, Alberta. Proceedings of the IAHS-ICCE International Conference on Wildfire and Water Quality: Processes, Impacts and Challenges, 354: 1-8. 2012.
- Tufenkji, N. and Emelko, M.B. Groundwater Pollution: Impacts on Human Health: Fate and Transport of Microbial Contaminants. Encyclopedia of Environmental Health, J. Nriagu, Ed., Elsevier Publishing Inc., 2011.
- Stone, M., Emelko, M.B., Droppo, I.G., Silins, U. Biostabilization and Erodibility of Cohesive Sediment Deposits in Wildfire-affected Streams. Water Research, 45:2:521-534, 2011.
- Emelko, M.B., Silins, U., Bladon, K.D., Stone, M. Implications of Land Disturbance on Drinking Water Treatability in a Changing Climate: Demonstrating the Need for "Source Water Supply and Protection" Strategies. Water Research, 45:2:461-472, 2011.
- Schmidt, P.J., Emelko, M.B. QMRA and Decision-making: Are We Handling Measurement Errors Associated with Pathogen Concentration Data Correctly? Water Research, 45:2:461-472, 2011.
- Emelko, M.B., Schmidt, P.J., Reilly, P.M. Microbiological Data: Enabling Quantitative Rigor and Judicious Interpretation. Environ. Sci. Technol., 44:1720-1727, 2010.
- Emelko, M.B., Tufenkji, N., Stone, M. Rudolph, D.L., and Marsalek, J. RBF Treatment of Waters Impacted by Urban Stormwater and/or Polluted Rivers. Effects of Urbanization on Groundwater: An Engineering Case-based Approach for Sustainable Development. N.B Chang, ed. Reston, Virginia: ASCE Publications, Chapter 7, pp.165-198, 2010.
- Schmidt, P.J., Reilly, P.M., Emelko, M.B. Quantification of Methodological Recovery in Particle and Microorganism Enumeration Methods. Environ. Sci. Technol., 44:1705-1712, 2010.
- Passmore, J.M., Rudolph, D.L., Mesquita, M.M., Cey, E.E., Emelko, M.B. The Utility of Microspheres as Surrogates for the Transport of E. coli RS2g in Agricultural Soil. Water Research, 44:4:1235-1245, 2010.
- Mesquita, M.M.F., Stimson, J., Chae, G.-T., Tufenkji, N., Ptacek C. J., Blowes, D. W., Emelko, M.B. Optimal Preparation and Purification of PRD1-like Bacteriophages for Use in Environmental Fate and Transport Studies. Water Research, 44:4:1114-1125, 2010.
- Silins, U., Stone, M., Emelko, M.B., Bladon, K.D. Sediment Production Following Severe Wildfire and Post-Fire Salvage Logging in the Rocky Mountain Headwaters of the Oldman River Basin, Alberta. Catena, 79:3:189-197, 2009.
- Silins, U., Bladon, K.D., Anderson, A., Diiwu, J., Emelko, M.B., Stone, M., Boon, S. Alberta’s Southern Rockies Watershed Project – How Wildfire and Salvage Logging Affect Water Quality and Aquatic Ecology. Streamline, 12:2:1-7, 2009.
- Brown, T.J., Emelko, M.B. Chitosan and Metal Salt Coagulant Impacts on Cryptosporidium and Surrogate Removal by Filtration. Water Research, 43:2:331-338, 2009.
- Knappett, P., Emelko, M.B., Zhuang, J., McKay, L. Transport and Retention of MS-2 Bacteriophage and Microspheres in Saturated Porous Media: Impact of Ionic Strength and Grain Size. Water Research, 42:16:4368-4378, 2008.
- Stone, M., Krishnappan, B.G., Emelko, M.B. The Effect of Bed Age and Shear Stress on the Size Distribution and Particle Morphology of Eroded Cohesive Sediment Deposits in an Annular Flume. Water Research, 42:15:4179-4187, 2008.
- Bladon, K.D., Silins, U., Wagner, M.J., Stone, M., Emelko, M.B., Mendoza, C.A., Devito, K., Boon, S. Wildfire impacts on nitrogen concentration and production from headwater streams in southern Alberta’s Rocky Mountains. Can. Jour. For. Res. 38:9:2359-2371, 2008.
- Silins, U., Stone, M., Emelko, M.B., and Bladon, K.D. Impacts of Wildfire and Post-Fire Salvage Logging on Sediment Transfer in the Oldman Watershed, Alberta. Proceedings of the IAHS-ICCE International Symposium on Sediment Dynamics in Changing Environments, 325: 510-515. 2008.
- Emelko, M.B., Schmidt, P.J., Roberson, J.A. Quantification of Uncertainty in Microbial Data: Reporting and Regulatory Implications. Jour. AWWA, 100:3:94-104, 2008.
- Chae, G., Stimson, J.*, Emelko, M.B., Blowes, D.W., Ptacek , C.J., Mesquita, M.M. Statistical Assessment of the Accuracy and Precision of Bacteria- and Virus-Sized Microsphere Enumerations by Epifluorescence Microscopy. Water Research, 42:6-7:1431-1440, 2008.
- Emelko, M.B., Huck, P.M., Smith, E.F. Full-scale Optimization of Single-Stage Biological Filtration. Jour. AWWA, 98:12:61-73, 2006.
- Emelko, M.B., Huck, P.M., Coffey, B.M. Cryptosporidium Removal by Filtration: A Review. Jour. AWWA, 97:12:101-115, 2005.
- Emelko, M.B., Huck, P.M. Microspheres as Surrogates for Filtration of Cryptosporidium. Jour. AWWA, 96:3:94-105, 2004.
- Emelko, M.B., Brown, T. Granular Media Provide Effective Pathogen Removal. Water Serv., 106:2:11-13, 2003.
- Emelko, M.B., Huck, P.M., Douglas, I.P. Cryptosporidium and Microsphere Removal During Late in Cycle Filtration. Jour. AWWA, 95:5:173-182, 2003.
- Emelko, M.B. Removal of Viable and Inactivated Cryptosporidium Oocysts by Dual- and Tri-Media Filtration. Water Research, 37:12:2998-3008, 2003.
- Huck, P.M., Coffey, B.M., Anderson, W.B., Emelko, M.B., Maurizio, D.D., Slawson, R.M., Douglas, I.P., Jasim, S.Y., O’Melia, C.R. Using Turbidity and Particle Counts to Monitor Cryptosporidium Removals by Filters. Wat. Sci. Technol. Wat. Supply, 2:3:65-71, 2002.
- Huck, P.M., Coffey, B.M., Emelko, M.B., Maurizio, D.D., Slawson, R.M., Anderson, W.B., Van Den Oever, J., Douglas, I.P., O’Melia, C.R. Filter Operation Effects on Cryptosporidium Removal. Jour. AWWA, 94:6:97-111, 2002.
- American Water Works Association (AWWA)
- International Water Association (IWA)
- Canadian Association on Water Quality (CAWQ)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- ENVE 224 - Probability and Statistics
- ENVE 330 - Lab Analysis and Field Sampling Techniques
- ENVE 375 - Physico-Chemical Processes
- ENVE 430 - Environmental Engineering Project 1
- ENVE 431 - Environmental Engineering Project 2
- ENVE 472 - Wastewater Treatment
- CIVE 670 - Physico-Chemical Processes of Water and Wastewater Treatment
- CIVE 770 - Methods in Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment
University of Waterloo