University of Waterloo Delegation to the UNFCCC Climate Negotiations "COP24" (Katowice, Poland - Dec 3-14th 2018)
Do you have a strong interest in global climate governance? Would you be able to further your research interests or career aspirations by interacting with delegates from across the world at COP24? Are you keen to act in a leadership role to engage others on campus, in the community and on the international stage in discussions about climate change?
Get involved in COP24 Katowice Poland:
There are a limited number of "accredited" spaces available on the UWaterloo delegation for students who demonstrate an exceptional level of interest and commitment towards generating benefit for their professional development through attending COP24 in person.
APPLICATIONS DUE: Wednesday, October 3rd at 4:00 p.m. EST
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a program where the degree is granted from the University of Waterloo
- Must not have attended a previous COP using UW funding.
In addition to these eligibility requirements, the ideal student delegate will be:
- a confident self-starter who excels at networking and meeting new people in conference-like environments
- comfortable travelling internationally with minimal direct support
- on a campus study term or on co-op in Waterloo Region (in order to facilitate strong group coordination and meetings)
EXPECTATIONS OF DELEGATES:
- Up to 10 hours/week of preparation to strategize on the delegation's activities, plan logistics, reach out to key stakeholders to plan for meetings in Poland, and lead communication efforts.
- Do your own research to build knowledge of the UNFCCC process, Canadian policy positions, and international issues of interest to you.
- Act as an informed and active ambassador of the University of Waterloo.
- Be very active on social media and write communication pieces (blogs, etc) while in Poland.
- Organize and participate in a presentation/speaker event about your experience at COP24 (to be held late January or early February, 2019).
- Total expenses are estimated at $2,500 for airfare, ground transportation, accommodation and food for a 1-week stay in Katowice (please note that this estimate could vary depending on choices made by each individual traveller)
- University funding may be available for the chosen delegates to offset $1,500 of these travel costs.
- APPLICATIONS DUE: Wednesday, October 3rd at 4:00 p.m. EST
*Update: Selected delegates will be notified the week of Oct. 15th (after which time, travel bookings will need to commence immediately). Reference checks and/or interviews may be completed as needed.